Subject: Veirs Mill Road lane shifting

From: [email-masked] (Russell T. Nevins)
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 18:28:29 GMT

Does anyone out there have an explanation of why the two through traffic
lanes of westbound Veirs Mill Road (Rte. 586) approaching Randolph Road both
become right turn only lanes a few blocks later, while two new lanes get added
to the left?  What is gained from this lane design?  For one lane to be peeled
off for right turns only I could understand, but both of them!  One must make
a lane change, just to continue along Route 586!!  (I always enter the new
lane that appears along with two left turn lanes just before Randolph Road as
soon as it appears, so I usually won't have to make any lane changes until
Twinbrook Parkway, where I turn right.)

      The problem I hate dealing with is drivers who stay in the lane that
must turn right at Parkland Drive until they're almost there, then rudely and
often dangerously cut off traffic in the through lanes.  This happens to me
too often for me to believe these drivers are all new and don't know that the
Parkland turn is coming up.

      Please e-mail any responses to me at "[email-masked]" or at
"[email-masked]".  I will summarize responses and post the summary in a
couple of weeks or so.  I'd be interested in knowing if other people are
bothered by this road design, too.  I'd especially be interested in hearing
from traffic engineers or other authorities that can justify the design.
Thank you in advance for any ideas you have on this matter.

Russ Nevins
FileTek, Inc.    <No company opinion implied whatsoever.>
Rockville, Md.