[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Senate committee approves repeal of 65 mph limit

In article <3ourd6$llo_001@acc.Virginia.EDU> mre2d@virgina.edu (mre) writes:
>Good News:

>         WASHINGTON (Reuter) - A Senate committee Wednesday ignored
>Clinton administration pleas and approved a bill to repeal the
>national 65 mile-per-hour speed limit so each state could set
>its own limit.
____
I heard that back in the late 50's and early 60's the road from LA to Las
Vegas through the desert had NO speed limit.  I doubt we could be so lucky and
have THAT happen again.  American drivers, IMHO do not know how to control
their vehicles at high speed.  After spending some time over in Germany
watching those folks on the Autobahn, I came to not-so-surprising conclusion
that if we in the US had high speed and/or unlimited speed limits (in fact,
Germany is starting to impose speed limits on the Autobahn now...they are just
a few places anymore where you can "let it all hang out" anymore...) we would
have bodies and cars littering the sides of the road.   Anyway....it's a shame
to have some of the great high performance vehicles that you can purchase
nowadays and be stuck at a crummy 65 mph.

Glenn E. Painter - SESI
Redstone Arsenal, AL
(205) 876-2325  DSN 746-2325
gpainter@immcms1.redstone.army.mil