Subject: Interstate Highways that should have driver discretion speed limits

From: [email-masked] (kbagdon)
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 1995 16:56:41 -0700

Now that we have beeten to death the Personal Land Speed Records, lets
discuss the Interstate Highways that should have driver discretion speed
limits.

My contribution - Florida Turnpike, south of Orlando, in the '50 mile next
exit' stretch. CLEAN and SAFE. No exits or entrances for 50 miles. Two
lanes all the way. No turns or hills. Just 50 miles of 1 1/2 - 2 mile
visibility. Except for the idiots in the left lane.

Let's here some more suggestions.

Steve B.

-- 
please e-mail directly
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Shepherd)
Date: 4 Jun 1995 04:54:10 GMT

Steph Greenberg ([email-masked]) put it most eloquently when they wrote:
: I5, between the 99/I5 intersection near Grapevine to Stockton. Even my 70 
: year old parents drive 80 on that. Also I15 from Hesperia to Barstow and 
: Barstow to Vegas. 

K-5, between Kansas City and Leavenworth. :)
Long, curvy road, speed limit 55, unpatrolled and unused. Beautiful at about
35 above the limit...

: --
: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
: Steph Greenberg                       
: [email-masked]           "Every Friday is a prelude to Monday." 
: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Sir Christopher A. Shepherd          : EMail: [email-masked]
VP, Network Engineering and Security : Voice: (816)-472-4949
Interstate Networking Corporation    : P-Funk: Da Bomb
X-Macho-Note: I build dns tables by hand with ed. Yes, ed. So there.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ryan Taylor)
Date: 7 Jun 1995 01:13:46 GMT

: My contribution - Florida Turnpike, south of Orlando, in the '50 mile 
next
>: exit' stretch. CLEAN and SAFE. No exits or entrances for 50 miles. 
Two
>: lanes all the way. No turns or hills. Just 50 miles of 1 1/2 - 2 mile
>: visibility. Except for the idiots in the left lane.
>
>: Let's here some more suggestions.

There's a stretch of Oklahoma, on 65, somewhere near McAlester if memory 
serves me correctly, and I'm not too sure of the distance, cuz when you 
drive you slip into a mile a minute time frame, and when you greatly 
exceed that, it messes you up. Anyway, it's at least around twenty miles, 
no on/off ramps, divided by a concrete barrier, and when I went through, 
people were real good about gettin outta my way.

---

From: Scott Kirkham <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Jun 1995 20:39:16 GMT

I forgot to tell what this desolate wasteland ribbon of road is. It is
I-26. Four lanes of sheer boredom and anticipation of the beach.
Scott Kirkham <[email-masked]> wrote:
>There is a stretch of forlorn highway between Columbia, SC and 
>Charleston, SC that just begs to be driven fast. You can see for miles 
>and the traffic is usually acceptably light. Had my truck up to about 95 
>or so through there, but a 95 Ram 4X4 gets a little scary when you get 
>up into triple digits. I'll stick to the Lexus for fast flying through
>this piece of dragstrip. It really needs discretionary speed limits so I
>don't have to listen to the CB, scanner, and radar detector all at the
>same time. But until such time, I will look and listen and keep it 
>hammer down!
>
>Scott Kirkham
>

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Goudreau)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 95 16:15:09 GMT

kbagdon ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Now that we have beeten to death the Personal Land Speed Records, lets
: discuss the Interstate Highways that should have driver discretion speed
: limits.

: My contribution - Florida Turnpike [sic], south of Orlando, in the
: '50 mile next exit' stretch...

Of course, technically, Florida's Turnpike (the official name, BTW)
isn't even an Interstate Highway like the other big North/South
expressways in Floriday (I-95 and I-75).  But I do remember one of
my childhood friends who had just returned from a vacation in Florida
telling me that the Turnpike's speed limit at the time (early 1970s)
was 80 mph.  Any old timers want to confirm or deny?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Goudreau			Data General Corporation
[email-masked]		62 Alexander Drive	
+1 919 248 6231			Research Triangle Park, NC  27709, USA

---

From: Scott Kirkham <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Jun 1995 20:27:02 GMT

Scott Kirkham