Subject: Re: Driving Pet Peeves

From: [email-masked] (Charles Tryon)
Date: 15 Jun 1995 22:28:04 -0400

My biggest peeve is motorist who whine about how much time they lost one
  time when they got "stuck" behind a couple of cyclists who were riding
  side by side.

  Get a friggin life!  On my bike, I waste more time waiting for motorists
  and motorist induced delays in one day than most motorists loose in a
  year's worth of driving.  (Ever heard of a "stop light"?)

  (Oh yea, one more thing...
            You "drive" a car.
            You "ride" a bike.
                     What's wrong with this picture? ;-)

--
    Your Servant,                           [email-masked]
    B. Baggins                              [email-masked]
  _________________________________________________________________________
    The fastest way to get a job done is to not have to do it over again.

---

From: [email-masked] (Spiros Triantafyllopoulos)
Date: 16 Jun 1995 17:40:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>  time when they got "stuck" behind a couple of cyclists who were riding

The problem is not time lost; the problem is when someone in a car 
tries to pull a heroic and pass, the bikes and a few cars, or where
the bicyclists take a column of cars along for the ride in a no pass
or crowded zone... For the most part the bicyclists don't cause the
trouble but the end result is the same; I can wait for the bikes
ahead of me, will Bubba in his rusted out '74 pickup wait as well?

>  year's worth of driving.  (Ever heard of a "stop light"?)

You mean, bicycle yield signs? :-)

Spiros

-- 
Spiros Triantafyllopoulos                  Kokomo, IN 46904   (317) 451-0815
Software Development Tools                 [email-masked]
Delco Electronics Corporation             "Reading, 'Rithmetic, and Readnews"

---

From: [email-masked] (Charles Tryon)
Date: 15 Jun 1995 22:28:04 -0400

---

From: [email-masked] (Spiros Triantafyllopoulos)
Date: 16 Jun 1995 17:40:57 GMT

Spiros

---

From: [email-masked] (Siddarth Subramanian)
Date: 21 Jun 1995 11:56:35 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
David Pressley <[email-masked]> wrote:
>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Charles Tryon) writes:
>>
>I really despise idiot cyclists who ride side by side.  I don't know how
>many times I have been driving 55 mph, go around a curve in the road and
>come upon cyclists blocking the road doing...what...15-20 mph???

Without going into the moral implications of side by side bicycling,
I'd like to point out that if you were surprised by cyclists
"blocking" the road doing 15-20 mph, you were going *way* too fast for
the conditions.

A speed limit of 55 doesn't mean that it's legal or safe to drive 55
everywhere along the road.  The basic speed law still applies - this
means that at any point you're supposed to be driving slow enough that
you can safely stop for anything that might appear on the road.  If
instead of two bikes moving at 15-20, there had been a car that was
stopped (0 mph) around that bend, then it would have been your
responsibility to be able to safely stop for it.  This is with a
closing speed of 55 mph.  The closing speed with the bikes would only
have been 35-40 mph, and you should very easily be able to avoid them.

By the way, using the road for its intended purpose, i.e., travelling
on it legally, is not considered "blocking" the road.

-- 
Siddarth Subramanian
[email-masked]
Austin, Texas, USA