Subject: Re: Driving Pet peeves

From: [email-masked] (Alexander M. Bilan)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 95 12:00:54

With all this talk about rotten bicyclists (not to terribly bad if they have
only just begun to decompose... =\  ) I witnessed today a cyclists which
actually did not go squeezing between the curb and row of cars. He was
actually waiting in place!  My hat goes off to him.  

Mr.V-8
  //  The opinions expressed above are strictly the opinions of my fingers
\X/   and may not reflect the opinions of the other apendages.

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael E. Dey)
Date: 19 Jun 1995 15:41:57 GMT

I'm wondering if it would be effective, if when a light turned green, 
everyone started rolling instantaneously.  As it is, it takes forever for 
all the idiots ahead of you to wait for the car in front of them to go 
before they can go.  If we all left a few feet inbetween and started 
going right away, I imagine we could get twice as many people through 
busy interesections.
-- 
  Michael Dey         
    School of Engineering and Applied Science    National Center for
  University of Colorado at Boulder                 Atmospheric Research
[email-masked]                               [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (David Glenn)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 21:07:13 GMT

>going right away, I imagine we could get twice as many people through 

Michael, your applying too much logic to this driving thing, It'll
only frustrate you. This is a great and obvious solution, but will
never work because of the 'crowd-on-in' syndrome. I regularly leave
extra space between my and the car in front of me at lights or
crawling traffic, but the 'crowders' can't stand it and honk, yell,
harrumph or cut in front of me. I say everyone should be forced to
drive a manual transmission equipped car. This would fix the rampant
brakers and crowders tendency to make every foot count, no matter how
much it slows me (and everyone else) down.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Poston)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 21:38:00 -0800

Michael E. Dey:
MED| I'm wondering if it would be effective, if when a light turned
   | green, everyone started rolling instantaneously.  As it is, it
   | takes forever for all the idiots ahead of you to wait for the car
   | in front of them to go before they can go.  If we all left a few
   | feet inbetween and started going right away, I imagine we could
   | get twice as many people through busy interesections.

   Sure, and if we all followed two feet behind the car ahead at
   70 mph, we'd improve freeway throughput, too.

   If you think about it, what we're doing when accelerating from a
   stop is transitioning from sufficient following distance at 0 mph,
   to sufficient following distance at x mph.  The faster you get
   going, the more space you need to leave in front of you.  It takes
   a while to attain that space, so that's why you can't move out like
   a train (where the inter-car space is constant - or nearly slow,
   discounting slack).

   So, you *have* to wait when traffic starts to move.  Of course,
   this doesn't take into account the guy who's still reading the
   paper, and who now has sufficient following distance even if he was
   doing 300 mph!!

-- Jim
   [email-masked]

---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ    "It has many other uses as well.  Allow me." - Worf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: [email-masked] (Jim Poston)
This message was processed by NetXpress from Merlin Systems Inc.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------