Subject: cyclist hippies was Re: Driving Pet Peeves

From: Indian Outlaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 18:03:14 -0500

> I'm a cyclist too and I agree. Then again, when a cyclist messes up he
> generally only hurts himself, while when someone driving a 3,000 pound
> car screws up he can kill whole families at once.
	What about when hesheit "messes up" and causes a car to swerve into 
another car transporting a whole family????

> I've been hit 6 times...all were the fault of the car driver (btw-5 out
> of six of the drivers were female). Average damage to bike was 900 dollars.
	First, you got more dollars than sense if your bike cost more 
than $900 and you ride it in the city.  My old Shogun was $400.  I'd 
never pay that again for a bike.
	Second,	define "fault of the driver".  Let me guess, he didn't swerve 
out of *your precious* way because a car was in the next lane?  I don't know 
the legalities of this I'd admit, but I'll sacrifice my front right 
corner before I sacrifice my whole left side by side swiping the car to 
my left.  When you shits pop up out of nowhere, it's hard to slam on the 
brakes, but I guess I'm supposed to brake for wheeled minorities, too.
For every X hundred cars, there's one bicycle out there.  Take a 
hint pal.  If you want to hang with the big boys and do it on two wheels, 
get a motorcycle.   

> PS: I saw Thurlow Rodgers riding today (84 olympic team, 7-11 team,
> rode in the tour de France, etc.) He was riding partially in the lane
> (just far enough so cars had to get partially into the next lane to 
> get around him). That's exactly what you are supposed to do. 

Let me re-phrase:  If I can't*** get out of the way of a pathetic jackass 
whose little bicycle belongs on less traveled residential roads, and I 
hit him, he'll probably sue me because I'll stop and see if he's okay. 
Then I will stick his fancy bike where the sun doesn't shine.

*** I do get out of the way when I can.  I alike most have had close 
calls.  It takes a lot of nerve or *stupidity* to take a bicycle into the 
domain of 3000lb vehicles.

BRENT VAUGHAN