Subject: Re: cyclists and car drivers(BAD UK DRIVERS!)

From: Peter Su <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 1995 21:05:49 +0100

On Fri, 16 Jun 1995, Indian Outlaw wrote:

> > >I wrote: 
> > > *** I do get out of the way when I can.  I alike most have had close 
> > > calls.  It takes a lot of nerve or *stupidity* to take a bicycle into the 
> > > domain of 3000lb vehicles.

THIS STATEMENT IS PARTIALLY TRUE SOMETIMES IT IS NECESSARY TO RIDE ALONG 
SIDE CARS SINCE THERE AREN'T THAT MANY BIKE PATH IN REALITY.  CYCLISTS 
(DON'T FORGET THEY DRIVE CARS TOO!) SOMETIMES ARE CAUGHT IN A VERY IRONIC
SITUATION BECAUSE THE PEDESTRIANS COMPLAIN WHEN THEY RIDE ON THE SIDEWALK 
(illegal in certain areas) AND DRIVERS(non-cycling ones) ALSO COMPLAIN 
BECAUSE THEY THINK IT'S DANGEROUS AND BIKES SHOULD STAY OFF THE ROADS. THE
FACT IS THAT THIS DANGER CAN BE "REDUCED" IF BOTH SIDE PAYS MORE ATTENTION..
PERHAPS DRIVERS WHOSE NEVER RIDDEN A BIKE ON THE STREET SHOULD TRY IT 
THEMSELVES TO REALIZE WHY BIKE RIDERS HAVE TO RESORT TO CERTAIN MANEUVERS
WHICH MAY APPEAR TO BEEN TOO ABRUPT.  IF THE DRIVER HAD RIDDEN ON THE ROAD
BEFORE THEN HE/SHE CAN SENSE WHEN TO GIVE THE RIDER MORE ROOM SO THEY 
WOULDN'T HAVE TO MAKE THESE SUDDEN MANEUVERS>

  > On 15 Jun 1995, Tai Morris wrote: > 
> > with your mindset, it'll be a matter of time before you hit somebody. 
> > I hope they, or their family, take you to the cleaners and have you 
> > locked up for a long time.

I WISH THE BRITISH LEGAL SYSTEM WAS AS UP TO DATE AS THE US.  AUTOMOBILE
DRIVERS HERE ACT LIKE THEY'RE ROYALTIES WHEN THEY'RE ON THE ROAD IN THEIR
DINKY 4 CYLINDER ECONOBOXES.  THEY REV THEM AND DRIVE THEM LIKE A FORMULA-1
AND SOMETIMES I WHICH I HAD A GOOD OLD MUSTANG OR A TRANS AM TO SHOW THEM
WHAT IT MEANS TO HAVE RAW AMERICAN HORSEPOWER!  UNFORTUNATELY WITH THE CAR
PRICES HERE (~$18K for a dinky bare-boned Escort!) THERE'S NO WAY I AM GOING
TO PAY FOR A CAR THAT I'D SATISFIED HERE.  THAT IS WHY I RIDE MY BIKE TO 
SCHOOL EACH DAY AND GET SCARED TO DEATH BY THESE WANNABEE FORMULA-1 DRIVERS.

AS A CYCLIST (or pedestrian) IN ENGLAND YOU REALLY HAVE TO BE CAREFUL 
BECAUSE DRIVERS HERE ARE ALWAYS FIRST.  WHEN THEY PUSH THEIR 165/80R13
TO THE LIMIT ON TURNS THEY DON'T GIVE A DAMN WHETHER YOU'RE CROSSING THE
INTERSECTION WITH THE "RIGHT OF WAY".  THEY SIMPLY WHIP BY AND SOMETIMES
WILL HONK THE HORN AT YOU FOR BEING IN THEIR WAY, EVEN WHEN I HAVE THE RIGHT
OF WAY!  IF THIS WAS HOME SWEET HOME L.A. I WOULD HAVE SHOT MOST OF THESE
ROYALTIES ON THE ROAD.  

I'VE DRIVEN IN THE WORST WEATHER POSSIBLE THE INDIANA SKY CAN DUMP...SURVIVED
many trips to  NYC, BOSTON, CHICAGO, and LIVED IN LA FOR MOST OF MY LIFE, 
I MUST ADMIT THAT I HAVE SEEN MORE THAN MY SHARE OF CYCLISTS ON THE 
ROAD. AS LONG AS YOU DON'T TRY TO JUMP THE GUN BY THINKING "I CAN GET MAKE
THE CORNER AHEAD BEFORE HE CAN GT THERE" THEN A LOT OF CLOSE CALLS OR 
ACCIDENTS CAN BE AVOIDED.  MODERN BIKES THESE DAYS CAN EASILY HIT 30MPH ON
THE ROAD SO THEY WILL ACTUALLY ARRIVE AT A CORNER BEFORE YOU CAN COMPLETE 
YOUR TURN.  I BELIEVE THIS IS WHERE A LOT OF ACCIDENTS HAPPEN, CARS 
TURNING INTO BIKES(OR VICE VERSA).  

ANYWAY, JUST GIVE BIKES ROOM AND DON'T DRIVE WITH THE MENTALITY THAT YOU 
CAN PROBABLY MAKE A SAFE TURN BEFORE THE BIKE CATCHES UP.  LEAVE LOTS OF
ROOM THEN YOU'LL BE ALRIGHT.  AS A MEMBER OF THE UNIVERSITY CYCLING TEAM
I CAN SAY MY BIKE HANDLING SKILLS ARE VERY GOOD HOWEVER I STILL GET JAMMED
INTO HAIRY SITUATIONS THAT I AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT.  BE CAREFUL ON THE ROAD
CUS THE CAR BEHIND YOU MAY BE DRIVE BY A CYCLIST, IF YOU HARRASE A FELLOW
CYCLIST IN SIGHT YOU MAY FIND YOURSELF IN DEEP POOP!
  
> > it's drivers like you that I don't want my girlfriend commuting to 
> > work on her bike, though I do so myself.
> > 
> > you're an ass, pure and simple.

happy driving..

US driver/cyclist/private pilot 
studying in the land of wannabee Formula-1 drivers