Subject: cyclist / motorist interaction Re: Driving Pet Peeves

From: [email-masked] (Timothy J. Lee)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 17:58:17 GMT

[email-masked] (Alain Southiere) writes:
|                   For instance, in some streets here, we have a cyclist
|path just between the road and the sidewalk. But many cyclist still
|ride on the road itself instead of the cycle path. The road is narrower
|than it was because they built a cycle path, so it's more dangerous for
|cyclists, but they still use the road instead of the safer cycle path.

How do such parallel cycle paths enter intersections that are made
when a cross road cuts across both the road and the cycle path?

Around here, many such parallel cycle paths place users who intend
to go straight to the right of right turning road traffic, which
typically does not expect vehicular traffic to be going straight
from their right.  Cyclists riding on the road instead of the parallel
cycle path can merge to the left of right turning traffic before the
intersection and thus avoid this problem.

|   Another example, a bike ignoring a stop sign while riding at 35 mph+.

An extremely stupid action.  In places where cyclists generally have
the same rights and responsibilities as motorists as far as the rules
of the road are concerned, this type of thing is (or should be) illegal.

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Timothy J. Lee                                        [email-masked]
No warranty of any kind is provided with this message.

---

From: [email-masked] (Timothy J. Lee)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 17:58:17 GMT