Subject: Re: Dumb Things You've Seen Whilst Driving

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 Jun 1995 15:38:29 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,
Chris Longhurst  <[email-masked]> wrote:
}On the uk.transport and uk.misc newsgroups, I've run a very successful call for
}dumb, weird, dangerous and just plain strange things that people have seen
}whilst driving. What I want to do now is throw this topic open to as many
}people as I can reach. I've already started the definitive list of these
}stories on my web page (http://www.division.co.uk/~chrisl/ ) and the more I can
}get, the better. Please try to keep them honest - most of the ones at the
}moment seem to be. So mail me with your stories, check out the webpage or post
}the tales here on this newsgroup. I'll be checking..... :-)

I-270, south of Frederick, MD:  Was in a group of traffic doing about
75mph when a bunch of cops appeared behind doing 85-90, no lights, no
sirens.  Everyone slowed down upon seeing them, of course.
Rather than turn their lights on so we'd pull over, the cops
blew right by on the right shoulder.  

I-695 (Baltimore Beltway):  Was doing about 80MPH in light traffic, as was
the guy ahead of me.  But he was searching for something on his
passenger seat, and was swinging wildly through the very wide left
shoulder, and occasionally into the other traffic lanes.  This kept up
for at least 10 minutes -- I didn't want to pass him the way he was
weaving, so I just stayed behind and prepared to evade if he hit the
median or another car.

---

From: Chris Longhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jun 1995 16:59:09 +0100

On the uk.transport and uk.misc newsgroups, I've run a very successful call for
dumb, weird, dangerous and just plain strange things that people have seen
whilst driving. What I want to do now is throw this topic open to as many
people as I can reach. I've already started the definitive list of these
stories on my web page (http://www.division.co.uk/~chrisl/ ) and the more I can
get, the better. Please try to keep them honest - most of the ones at the
moment seem to be. So mail me with your stories, check out the webpage or post
the tales here on this newsgroup. I'll be checking..... :-)

-- 
			*** Pass or Pull Over! ***
Chris Longhurst
3D graphics engineer, graphic artist, car driver and non-caravanner.
email: [email-masked]	or	[email-masked]
http://www.division.co.uk/~chrisl/ <----NEW
--------------------------------..oooOOOooo..--------------------------------
  Standard disclaimer: The views expressed in this item are entirely my own.
--------------------------------..oooOOOooo..--------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Felson)
Date: 20 Jun 1995 19:57:17 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:

: I-695 (Baltimore Beltway):  Was doing about 80MPH in light traffic, as was
: the guy ahead of me.  But he was searching for something on his
: passenger seat, and was swinging wildly through the very wide left
: shoulder, and occasionally into the other traffic lanes.  This kept up
: for at least 10 minutes -- I didn't want to pass him the way he was
: weaving, so I just stayed behind and prepared to evade if he hit the
: median or another car.

When I see such a clown, I put on my horn and wait until I see the guy 
come to attention.  Repeat as necessary.  I'd rather *not* wait until I 
see cars flying through the air.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 Jun 1995 15:48:10 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
}In article <[email-masked]>,
}Chris Longhurst  <[email-masked]> wrote:
}}On the uk.transport and uk.misc newsgroups, I've run a very successful call for
}}dumb, weird, dangerous and just plain strange things that people have seen
}}whilst driving. What I want to do now is throw this topic open to as many
}}people as I can reach. I've already started the definitive list of these
}}stories on my web page (http://www.division.co.uk/~chrisl/ ) and the more I can
}}get, the better. Please try to keep them honest - most of the ones at the
}}moment seem to be. So mail me with your stories, check out the webpage or post
}}the tales here on this newsgroup. I'll be checking..... :-)
}
}I-270, south of Frederick, MD:  Was in a group of traffic doing about
}75mph when a bunch of cops appeared behind doing 85-90, no lights, no
}sirens.  Everyone slowed down upon seeing them, of course.
}Rather than turn their lights on so we'd pull over, the cops
}blew right by on the right shoulder.  

}
}I-695 (Baltimore Beltway):  Was doing about 80MPH in light traffic, as was
}the guy ahead of me.  But he was searching for something on his
}passenger seat, and was swinging wildly through the very wide left
}shoulder, and occasionally into the other traffic lanes.  This kept up
}for at least 10 minutes -- I didn't want to pass him the way he was
}weaving, so I just stayed behind and prepared to evade if he hit the
}median or another car.

Since it seems customary to indicate the car model of the offender,
the idiot searching the passenger seat was driving (?) a red Escort.
I didn't notice which model of car the cops were using.