Subject: All-red signal delay

From: [email-masked] (Jim Poston)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 22:13:00 -0800

Michael Glicksman:
 "Instead of having a light change from red to green as soon as the
 other light changes from yellow to red, I would have both lights stay
 red for a second or two before one of them changes to green."

John Halbrook:
 "Guess what...it won't work!In fact it will increase the abuse as
 people become aware of the delay.What will work is enforcement by
 your local police.Specifically the enforcement of *AMBER*
 lights.Phone your local police and complain."

   It does work, and is common engineering practice, especially at
   wide intersections.  Drivers do pick up on it, and that's why it's
   recommended that the all-red period not exceed 2 or 3 seconds.

   The problem with "enforcement of *AMBER* lights" is that it's not
   illegal in most states.  It's usually illegal to enter the
   intersection when it's *red*, but not when it's yellow.

   If it was illegal to enter on the yellow, how could someone who is
   20 feet away from the intersection stop when the light turns
   yellow?  He has to have some warning, and the yellow is the warning
   that the light is about to turn red.

-- Jim
   [email-masked]

---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ       What we have heah is a failyuh to communicate!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: [email-masked] (Jim Poston)
This message was processed by NetXpress from Merlin Systems Inc.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------