Subject: Re: Speed limits

From: [email-masked] (DaveHatunen)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 20:06:21 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, Jeremy Hansen <"[email-masked]"> wrote:
>Ok, so now that Congress is putting speed limits into the hands
>of the states, who can we contact to get these speed limits
>raised in California?  Or maybe even eliminated on those long,
>straight, lonely roads..!

Give 'em time. Those of us old enough remember that state control of
speed limits was the way it was up till the Arab oil crisis. Up until
then, speed limits had been rising steadily, and Nevada didn't even
have a speed limit. For instance, during the 1960s Arizona raised its
Interstate speed limit from 65 to 75 mph.

OTOH, I remember the early 1950s in Ohio when the speed limit was 45
mph, and what a thrill it was when it went up to 60/50 day/night. And
that was NOT on the Turnpike.

-- 

****************************************************************
* As one IS manager put it, "If you make an interface so easy  *
* that any Bozo can use it, every Bozo will, and they'll all   *
* want IS support, and they'll all be in my office asking how  *
* to make their own Home pages the way horny undergraduates go *
* around asking each other's majors and astrological signs."   *
*                                                              *
*                  --InfoWorld, Vol 17, Issue 5, June 19, 1995 *
****************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Barry Fowler)
Date: 21 Jun 1995 20:28:10 GMT

Jeremy Hansen (jeremyh@needa) wrote:
: Ok, so now that Congress is putting speed limits into the hands
: of the states, who can we contact to get these speed limits
: raised in California?  Or maybe even eliminated on those long,
: straight, lonely roads..!

Definitely not Barbara Boxer or Diane Feinstein.  They voted to have 
the Feds continue to tell us what the CA speed limits should be.  I guess
they don't trust themselves so set their own speed limits properly.

Additionally, mentioned in today's Sacto. Bee newspaper, related changes
that are now in the works are 1) Removing federally imposed seatbelt laws, 
2) removing Federally imposed truck speed limit laws (in the Assembly now), 
and changes to helmet laws on motorcycles.

I doubt if CA will move to bring the speed limits up on many highways.  The
CHP spoksman indicated that they'd only do it on an estimated 1500 miles
of CA highways.  Let's face it.  Giving speeding tickets allows them to get
new toys, along with filling a nearly-bankrupt state's treasury and it's
unlikely that they'll give up this revenue source.

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Adams)
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 02:33:47 GMT

Kenneth E. Long ([email-masked]) wrote:
: >speed limits was the way it was up till the Arab oil crisis. Up until
: >then, speed limits had been rising steadily, and Nevada didn't even
: >have a speed limit. For instance, during the 1960s Arizona raised its
: >Interstate speed limit from 65 to 75 mph.

: It was also just a few years ago when Nevada tried to flip the Feds the 
: bird by eliminating their speed limit once again.  But they caved when 
: they were threatened with the withholding of federal highway funds.

Montana also did not have a speed limit during daylight hours.  The first 
state to eliminate their speed limit gets my travel dollars.

Michael Adams
-- 
                                             [email-masked]