Subject: Re: Speed limits

From: [email-masked] (CBort)
Date: 29 Jun 1995 14:17:31 -0400

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't many California two-lane highways
> have 65-mph limits?

When I first started driving in California in the early 70's, most highway
speed limits were 65 mph and some freeways had a limit of 70 mph. Those
were the days... Of course, the speed limit for trucks (and autos w/
trailers) has *always* been 55. I always found it interesting that the
truckers were one of the most vocal opposition groups when the speed limit
for everyone was dropped to 55 -- but that's a different subject...  8)

IMHO, we should revert to the Basic Speed Law (as fast as conditions
allow) with no specific speed limit, at least on freeways and other
limited access roadways. If we did so, however, I'd also like to see
better driver training to teach all those new drivers to handle the
speed...

                 |   /\/\
-----------------|  ( oo )                        /)
Christopher Bort | ==\JL/== mmhrrrrrrrrrraaoow   //
[email-masked]    |   /--\  ___ _   _       __  _ \\
-----------------|  ||  ||  | | | |_) |_| |_  |_) ||
                 |  ||  ||  | |_| |   | | |__ | \ ||
                 | OOO__OOO=======================/