Subject: Re: speed limits

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Welch )
Date: 2 Jul 1995 22:30:15 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (VECTOR95)
writes: 
>
>How is it possible that anyone can suggest that the establishment of
speed
>limits  is intended for the police to detain the public for any
reason?
>Speed restrictions are made law by elected officials,  presumaby
because
>that's what his or her constituents demand. 

Please tell me you are being a devils advocate here...and that you
don't believe what you are saying..

You are saying that speed limits that were considered safe in 1960 (w/
cars that had 1960 technology...safety)...are applicable to modern
vehicles??

The fact is..the state depends so much on revenue from speeding
citation and parking citations...that they want you to speed...and
modern cities (Like Boston..where I live)..could not exist if everyone
didn't speed to increrase traffic flow....NMA members have gone through
Boston and I93 artery at the speed limit...and created a disaster...Its
a very complex issue.

BUT one thing is sure...it has nothing to do w/ the needs of the
constituents.

---

From: [email-masked] (Hi Ho Silver)
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 1995 19:15:33 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (VECTOR95) writes:
$Speed restrictions are made law by elected officials,  presumaby because
$that's what his or her constituents demand. 

   The vast majority of these same constituents clearly demonstrate
their regard for said laws by routinely ignoring them.  Actions, it
is said, speak louder than words.

   But then again, apart from specific areas of specific roads, I
don't recall having heard of the general public demanding speed
limits be lowered.  It's a moot point, of course, to ask whether
the general public wishes to see speed limits put in place, as they've
been in place on all of our public roads around here for decades
anyway.

   An initial study of Ontario's photo radar showed that at six sites
selected for the study, the percentage of all vehicles which exceeded
5 km/h over the speed limit prior to the introduction of photo radar
were roughly 65%, 75%, 70%, 70%, 55%, and 65%.  Note that these
results also include all hours of the day, including the heavily-
congested "rush" hours.  Obviously, when roads are not congested,
the number of speeders will increase, and if you define "speeder"
as "one who exceeds the legal speed limit" rather than "one who
exceeds the legal speed limit by at least 5 km/h" (the former being
a more reasonable definition), the numbers will increase again, so
it's probably safe to say that given the opportunity to speed at
these sites, 75-80% is a conservative estimate of the proportion of
drivers who do speed.
-- 
 ______________________________________________
/  Hi Ho Silver, who likes the idea of having  \  __________________________
\  SNTF and large h00ters in the same package   \/   [email-masked]    \
 \______________________________________________/ ...{!uunet}!bokonon!silver \

---

From: [email-masked] (Maximillien Baudelaire)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 1995 16:41:22 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (DAVID PEPPIATT) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (DAVID PEPPIATT)
>Newsgroups: rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.drugs,alt.law-enforcement
>Subject: Re: speed limits
>Date: 15 Jul 1995 22:20:33 GMT
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
>Can anybody out there throw any light on the latest move by the governor 
>of the Province of Ontario who, according to a few snippets of a news 
>item I heard, has 'banned' speed cameras, citing them as immoral and 
>nothing more than revenue collectors.

>If anyone can find details on this isuue, and especially provide me with 
>an E-mail of fax address for the person responsible for this incredible 
>weapon in the fight against speed cameras, please let me know ASAP.

>David Peppiatt

Well, I'm not too sure about any Ontario "Ban" on speed cameras, tho I think I 
saw a great way of knocking these cameras out of commission (from the Green 
Pather's Action Manual).

If you have speed cameras in your area, you might like to consider 
purchasing a paintball-gun with a decent scope (like they use in those 
Survival! games), and a good supply of black paintballs.  Then just scope out 
speed camera locations, and shoot the lens sometime in the off-hours, late at 
night.  Kinda hard for them to photograph anybody's license plate through a 
thickcoat of black paint, eh? Not to mention, now instead of being a "great" 
revenue generater, they become a constant maintenance expenditure! ;}

Blind the cameras, and you have blinded the automated traffic violations 
system! ;}

Speed limits in residential areas & such may be justified, but rediculously 
low limits on highways is nothing short of highway robbery by the State.

Another way to attack speed limit enforcement would be to deface speed limit 
signs with regular paint (or paintballs if yer lazy/in a hurry).  If there is 
no POSTED speed limit, then I can't see how they could still give you a ticket 
as long as you're only doing whatever the Max speed limit happens to be in 
your State.  This is a great tactic for those 40-45-50 MPH highway zones, who 
SHOULD be allowed to do a decent speed without interference from the State.

Of course, these are just hypothetical ideas; I wouldn't suggest or encourage 
anyone to actually implement them! ;} ;} ;}

-Max