Subject: Speed limits

From: [email-masked] (Alexander Lygin)
Date: 13 Aug 1995 21:30:29 GMT

Hi!

Regarding raising spped limits: I agree that speed limits are to be raised and I think at least to
75 mph. But I also think that this proposal must be followed by another: reform of licensing drivers.
The procedure as it is now allows almost anybody if hs/she is not completely fool get a driver license,
which doesn't assure that one can handle car at such high speeds. Those people who get their DL in 
Russia remember the hell on their exam. They have to pass figure driving, make 8 backing up and 
have to proof much more of their skills. Thus I propose before spped limits are raised make all drivers
pass qualification exams in 6 months or so and prove that they are able to handle their cars. It will create
very big hussle, I agree, but it may be another revenue: make them pay for this qualification, say $20.
And after that new speed limits may come in force. Because I really have seen few people that feel 
themselfes shaky when go on a freeway - especially old grand paps and mams. And make pretty high 
fine for those caught on freeway for speeding and not having passed the qualification exam. 
As for me, I have been a junior car racer in Russia and I know many things that others don't about 
handling car, not counting expirience. I think that my proposal sounds reasonable, doesn't need additional
funding and may make additional revenue for DMV or whatever. As for drivers - it would not be big 
hussle to any of us to pay $20 and spend 30 minits to be qualified.

What do you think about it?

Sincerely,
	Alexander.