Subject: Re: Things every new driver should know

From: [email-masked] (BobJcumbia)
Date: 23 Jun 1995 16:47:34 -0400

The tenets I taught my son were as follows:

1. There is no such thing as a good driver. There are only average and
inferior drivers. Strive to be an average driver and be wary of anyone who
says "I'm a good driver." (Sorry, this isn't especially humorous)

2. Driving isn't fun. It requires concentration. If you're driving and
enjoying yourself, you're doing something wrong. (Sorry, this is even less
humorous)

3. I can't remember the third... sorry. (This one was the really funny
one.)

While he was learning to drive, he had to recite these three tenets to me
on call. 

What most new drivers need to know so the rest of us on the road don't go
crazy is:

When you're making a left turn and the light is green, pull well into the
intersection and wait for your opening to turn. This allows cars behind
you to get into the intersection and make the light with you. New York
City drivers who have been allowed to live all know this. Suburban
Connecticut drivers often have need of this tactic but have not learned
it. I guess it's a pretty useless strategy in northern Maine. 

Bob Jacobs

---

From: [email-masked] (Tigress)
Date: 23 Jun 1995 22:45:57 -0400

BobJcumbia ([email-masked]) wrote:
: The tenets I taught my son were as follows:

: 2. Driving isn't fun. It requires concentration. If you're driving and
: enjoying yourself, you're doing something wrong. (Sorry, this is even less
: humorous)

:Bob Jacobs

Uh, what if you like concentrating on the road. Yeah it is no fun when you
are tired and don't wanna think, but I kinda like the challenge it gives
of how to be a good driver, and also how to be able to go faster without
asking to be hit (otherwords, being a total rude ass). I like
concentrating on the road, on the other cars, predicting what others will
do on the road ahead of time. You cannot say driving isn't fun cause different
people enjoy different things, and I happen to like to drive (and pay
attention to what's happening). Kinda gets my mind off things, and it is
fun to me.

Tigress

-- 
      |\      _,,,---,,_		Tigress
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ 		[email-masked]
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'		
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)                cat drawn by: Felix Lee