Subject: speed trap in Playa del Rey

From: [email-masked] (Stephan Anagnostaras)
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 1995 09:25:21 -0800

Recent Ive been irritated by the appearance of a speed trap in Playa del Rey.
Although I dont speed in this zone, it seems like it has to be illegal to
set it up the way they have. They simply clock everyone going either way
using radar. This seems like an unreasonable search since there is no
probable cause to search everyone.  The speed limit is also unreasonably
low  since from one direction it drops from 55 to 35 (luckily not the direction
I travel).  Since I live right near the trap it irritates me. I'm thinking of
putting signs up which say "speed trap" all over the place. I thought they
would stop after a day or two but the pigs have been here for a couple of 
weeks. Oh its the LAPD.  Dont they have anything better to do than hang out
in the one neighborhood in LA with almost no crime at all? Shouldn't they
be arresting rapists and murderers downtown instead?

-- 
STEPHAN ANAGNOSTARAS                   UCLA BEHAVIORAL NEUROSCIENCE
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert S. Helfman)
Date: 4 Jul 1995 01:14:58 GMT

>Recent Ive been irritated by the appearance of a speed trap in Playa del Rey.
.......
>be arresting rapists and murderers downtown instead?

1) Playa del Rey is hardly without 'no crime at all'. Further,
traffic enforcement is done by LAPD Traffic Division. They don't
'do' murders and rapes. They do traffic. When was the last time
you saw a motorcycle officer doing detective work?

2) Your economic and cultural biases are showing right through
this CRT screen. You imply that there are no rapists or murderers
on the Westside, or perhaps that the ones downtown are more deserving
of LAPD's attention. You're probably the first one to bitch and moan
when someone gets shot by gang cross-fire in Westwood but could hardly
care less when someone gets shot on Crenshaw or in Pico-Union.

3) Face it. You got caught speeding. Go pay your ticket or take this
transparent sour-grapes argument to court and see what a judge thinks of
it. (Who knows, he might be another Westside sniveler too!)