Subject: Re: Canada

From: [email-masked] (John Halbrook)
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 13:44:41 GMT

Robert J. Lichtman ([email-masked]) writes:
> I am going to be driving from Michigan to Buffalo through Canada several 
> times in the next month and I need advice.
> 
> It is my understanding that radar detectors are illegal in Canada. Is 
> that right? How strict are the police in Canada about the speed limit. 
> Can I bring my radar detector, but not use it (keep it in the trunk, etc.).
> 
> Can I bring my radar detector and use it? What will happen.
> 
> Thanks, bob
> 
> -- 
Bob;
 If you are traveling from Michigan to Buffalo you will be traveling through
the Province of Ontario.Radar detectors are illegal in the Province.The 
OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) have radar detector detectors(it picks up
the reference radio signal transmitted by most radar detectors).
 If the police _suspect_ that you have a detector in your car they have
the right to search you car _without_ a warrant.If they find one they can
confiscate it and give you a ticket.The only vehicle that can carry a radar
detector is one that has been hired by a radar manufacturer to ship it's
product(in sealed boxes).
 In practical terms do not use your detector in Ontario.If you are caught
with one the police at their discretion may give you a warning and let you
keep it since you are a non-resident.But to avoid delays keep it in your
trunk.
  With regards to _photo-radar_ the Province can not sent tickets to the
owners of vehicles registered outside the Province.
  Further tips to driving in Canada...Keep in the right lane unless you
are passing.You may experience cars approaching from behind at 110+ mph(177+
kmh) at the rate of maybe one every 2 or 3 Hrs. of driving on expressways.
Traffic may flow at 75+ mph(120+ kmph).Speeds are signed in kmph(100 kmph=
62 mph).Use your signal lights for all lane changes etc..
  Drive with your lowbeam HEADLIGHTS ON during daylight Hrs.This is especi-
ally important on 2 lane highways to prevent head on collisions,and to
prevent cars from suddenly pulling on to the highway in front of you.
  Have some safe trips.Keep alert and you too will see how bad most Canadian
drivers are!

J.H.-   A  better Canadian driver