Subject: Re: Canada

From: [email-masked] (Alexander M. Bilan)
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 95 17:17:43

On Sun  2-Jul-1995  6:02p, Robert J. Lichtman wrote:
RL> I am going to be driving from Michigan to Buffalo through Canada several 
RL> times in the next month and I need advice.

RL> It is my understanding that radar detectors are illegal in Canada. Is 
RL> that right? How strict are the police in Canada about the speed limit. 
RL> Can I bring my radar detector, but not use it (keep it in the trunk,
RL> etc.).

That is correct for most provinces. In Ontario, we can own them, but we can't
use them.  =)
Police strictness seems regional.  And wether or not they have some sort of
"safety blitz" that week. Best advice is just to keep your eyes open and use a
bit of common sense.  For a time, the major highways where heavily patrolled
for speeding. But, that seems to have died down.  
Overall, if you don't go insanely in excess of the speedlimit, you shouldn't
get yourself tagged.  And, go with the flow.  

RL> Can I bring my radar detector and use it? What will happen.

If you are caught using it (don't jamb your brakes on if it goes off, that
seems to be the way they pinpoint who has the detector) your radar detector
will be confiscated, and destroyed (quite possibly on the spot). 

RL> Thanks, bob

RL> -- 
 
Mr.V-8
  //  The opinions expressed above are strictly the opinions of my fingers
\X/   and may not reflect the opinions of the other apendages.