Subject: Re: Why did that officer let you go ???

From: [email-masked] (Bryan Chow)
Date: 14 Jul 1995 05:11:54 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (alex zas ) says:
>
>What did you tell the trooper/officer who stopped you to give you a
>ticket, but let you go after you told him/her that.......

I was stopped for going about 70 in a 35 zone late one night.  Not
only that, the cop heard me rev and accelerate from a stoplight.
However, he was real pleasant.  Just asked for license and registration,
asked where I was going, asked if I knew how fast I was going, and
then let me go.  I think he let me go because:

1. I was corporative and polite.

2. When he asked if I knew how fast I was going, I did not give some
   bullshit answer but just said I didn't know.  Cops don't like to
   get the feeling that you think you're trying to outsmart them.

3. I was lucky.

On another occasion, I saw a police car behind me so I was going at
the speed limit.  After following me for awhile, they turned on their
siren and pulled me over.

Then BOTH cops got out of the car, walked toward me one on each side
with their hands on their guns, and asked me if I had a gun in my
car.  They then asked for my license and registration, and let me
go saying something lame like "my license didn't show up on their
computer."

-- 
Bryan Chow                  California Institute of Technology [ SCP Lab ]
[email-masked] /           Home: http://www.scp.caltech.edu/~bryan/
World Wide Web      -- Roxy Music: http://www.scp.caltech.edu/~bryan/roxy/
(818) 395-3903        \    Autos: http://www.scp.caltech.edu/~bryan/autos/

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Woyna)
Date: 14 Jul 1995 18:27:01 GMT

>ticket, but let you go after you told him/her that.......

# 1

I was crusing along about 75 in a 55 a mile from my exit when I noticed a
Caprice behind me. It had no markings on it and had what looked like a suit
hanging in the back seat. I slowed down briefly before deciding it was a
saleman and proceeded to punch it. Well, on come the lights in the grill
of the Caprice! The officer asks me if I know how fast I was going and I
said "55", with a slight grin. The officer replies, "Would you like to try
again?" After an unsuccessful attempt to talk my way out of a ticket I
replied, "Well, I guess I just head my head up my ass!" I wish I had a
picture of the guy's face as it went from cold-stone to this big-ass grin.
The guy laughs and says, "Well, Mr. Woyna, I wouldn't have quite put it that
way, but I guess you're right. Try to slow down a bit, will you?", and starts
walking back to his car.

# 2

Late night going southbound on I-294 doing about 85. As I approach the
Cicero on ramp, I notice a car ahead getting on going about 90. I figure
I'll let him take the lead and speed up a bit to match his speed, trailing
about a 1/4 mile back. About a mile down the road he starts to slow down
and pulls over onto the left shoulder. As I get a bit closer, sure enough,
a cop. By this time I'm down to around 65. He lets me pass him and then gets
back on the road and pulls up behind me and flips on the lights. When he
walks up to my window he asks "Do you know how fast you were going?" I said,
"No, I was just following you!" Since he wasn't on a call, I think he
realized that it wouldn't look too good to go before a judge and admit
that he was driving 90 for no good reason. The guy tells me to slow down and
let's me go. :)

==============================================================================
Mark A. Woyna                             |
Section Manager - Information Systems     |
Advanced Computer Applications Group      | "Germans who wish to use firearms
Decision & Information Sciences Division  |  should join the SS or the SA --
Argonne National Laboratory               |  ordinary citizens don't need guns,
Argonne IL  60439                         |  as their having guns doesn't serve
                                          |  the State."  -- Heinrich Himmler
[email-masked]                             | 
==============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Curry)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 95 08:23:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
   [email-masked] (alex zas ) wrote:
|>What did you tell the trooper/officer who stopped you to give you a
|>ticket, but let you go after you told him/her that.......

On the way back from a friends house late one night, looked in the 
rear view mirror and thought "I wonder if that's a cop?" I switched lanes
and the car swithed lanes as well, by then I knew it was a cop and as soon
as I realized it he turns his lights on and pulls me over.

Did the license and Insurerance thing.
He said I was going and average of 72 (in a 55), I told him I was coming 
back from a friends house and was rather tired (which was true) and was
not really paying attention (sort of true :-)).

He told me to be carefull on the way home and sent me on my way.

Another time I was coming back home late again from a friends house and
there were police standing in the road (road block maybe? couldn't tell).
Cop motioned me to pass and then out of the blue he told me to stop and
show him my license (which I didn't have).  I told him I forgot it at home
he said "why did you do that" I said "I don't know" (Duh! because I thought
it would be cool).  He seemed somewhat frustrated (like he didn't want to
deal with it) and told me to leave after I promised him that I didn't have 
my license suspended or anything.

Chris C
------------------------------------------------+
In order to understand one must first learn how
others see the world and then learn how not to
see the world how one wants it be (S)
------------------------------------------------+