Subject: Re: driver's ed. is a joke

From: [email-masked] (Robert King)
Date: 23 Jul 1995 15:46:55 GMT

In article [email-masked], [email-masked] () writes:

>}   But the government is present to serve the public.
>
>Tell me another fairy tale.  The government is present mainly to serve
>those in government.

   A cynical attitude at best, although it does represent the attitude many have with the government.

   You must admit though, the governments do an awfull lot for us.  They regulate
the utilities so that we get constant and consistant service from them.  They
maintain sewage and garbage handling duties.  They keep our streets and roads
in (relatively) good repair.  In short, they provide much of the socio-
economical framework in which we live.

>}>No, I want to restrict them because it is the government -- but that's
>}>a political issue which belongs elsewhere.
>}
>}   But surely you muct have a REASON?
>
>Basically, because the government gets to use large men with guns and
>clubs to enforce its edicts, derives all its money by taking it under
>the threat of sending large men with guns and clubs after those who
>don't pay, and is answerable only to itself.

   Ah!  So you're a cynic, and a fatalist!  Have you ever voted?  Ever
heard of it?

>"Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice, and moderation in pursuit
>of justice is no virtue."

   Maybe you should live by your tagline...

---
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Robert A. King                |                                       |
| Systems Software Engineer     |                                       |
| Kodak Health Imaging Systems  |    "I drank WHAT?!?" -- Socrates      |
|                               |                                       |
| [email-masked]            |                                       |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| The opinions expressed here arn't even mine, much less my employer's! |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 26 Jul 1995 23:09:30 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,
Robert King <[email-masked]> wrote:
}In article [email-masked], [email-masked] () writes:
}
}>}   But the government is present to serve the public.
}>
}>Tell me another fairy tale.  The government is present mainly to serve
}>those in government.
}
}   A cynical attitude at best, although it does represent the attitude many have with the government.
}
}   You must admit though, the governments do an awfull lot for us.  They regulate
}the utilities so that we get constant and consistant service from them.  They
}maintain sewage and garbage handling duties.  They keep our streets and roads
}in (relatively) good repair.  In short, they provide much of the socio-
}economical framework in which we live.

As I said, this is a political issue for elsewhere.  BTW, my garbage
collection is private.

}>}>No, I want to restrict them because it is the government -- but that's
}>}>a political issue which belongs elsewhere.
}>}
}>}   But surely you muct have a REASON?
}>
}>Basically, because the government gets to use large men with guns and
}>clubs to enforce its edicts, derives all its money by taking it under
}>the threat of sending large men with guns and clubs after those who
}>don't pay, and is answerable only to itself.
}
}   Ah!  So you're a cynic, and a fatalist!  Have you ever voted?  Ever
}heard of it?

Done it.  Those who I vote for never win.  I get one vote in several
million in a few races, and I usually can't stand ANY of the
candidates.  Voting is a placebo -- if it really changed anything, it would
be illegal.

}>"Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice, and moderation in pursuit
}>of justice is no virtue."
}
}   Maybe you should live by your tagline...

Well, I've never been accused of being a moderate.  What do you
suggest I do to live by my tagline, burn down the MVA?

-- 
Matthew T. Russotto      [email-masked]     [email-masked]
"Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice, and moderation in pursuit
of justice is no virtue."

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert S. Jenkins)
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 10:17:20 -0400

> economical framework in which we live.

A lot of the services you mention are handled bt STATE governments. I like 
for the most part S.C. state government. But it is the Federal government
that keeps getting bigger and serving themselves.

Robert

--

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert King)
Date: 26 Jul 1995 20:05:13 GMT

In article [email-masked], [email-masked] () writes:

>candidates.

   Then why not run yourself?  Or get involved in a PAC?  Or write
letters to the editor, or to those in power (now there's a radical
thought!)

   Like many, you may be pissed at the current state of affairs, but
too lazy to do anything about it.

>  Voting is a placebo -- if it really changed anything, it would
>be illegal.

   There's the cynic talking again.  Don't bitch about somthing until
you've TRIED to change it.

>suggest I do to live by my tagline, burn down the MVA?

  At least then you'd be DOING SOMTHING.  (Not that I'm advocating THAT,
of course!)

---

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 28 Jul 1995 15:22:17 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,
Robert King <[email-masked]> wrote:
}In article [email-masked], [email-masked] () writes:
}
}
}>}>Basically, because the government gets to use large men with guns and
}>}>clubs to enforce its edicts, derives all its money by taking it under
}>}>the threat of sending large men with guns and clubs after those who
}>}>don't pay, and is answerable only to itself.
}>}
}>}   Ah!  So you're a cynic, and a fatalist!  Have you ever voted?  Ever
}>}heard of it?
}>
}>Done it.  Those who I vote for never win.  I get one vote in several
}>million in a few races, and I usually can't stand ANY of the
}>candidates.
}
}   Then why not run yourself?  Or get involved in a PAC?  Or write
}letters to the editor, or to those in power (now there's a radical
}thought!)

Letters to those in power get filed with a form letter replay.
Letters to the editor-- I've written a few, but they are about as
effective as posts on  Usenet at doing anything.  Running myself or
getting involved in a PAC just makes me a cog in the wheel-- were I
ever to attain a position of real power, I'd have already been
co-opted by the system and I'd support the status quo.

}>  Voting is a placebo -- if it really changed anything, it would
}>be illegal.

}   There's the cynic talking again.  Don't bitch about somthing until
}you've TRIED to change it.

Pushing the system is ignored, unless you push hard enough to get
stomped on.  This is what I've learned dealing with systems without
armed enforcement agents.  I don't care to confirm it with systems
WITH armed enforcement agents.

}>}>"Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice, and moderation in pursuit
}>}>of justice is no virtue."
}>}
}>}   Maybe you should live by your tagline...
}>
}>Well, I've never been accused of being a moderate.  What do you
}>suggest I do to live by my tagline, burn down the MVA?
}
}  At least then you'd be DOING SOMTHING.  (Not that I'm advocating THAT,
}of course!)

I do DO something. But I don't try to change the system -- I believe
that to be futile. I simply ignore it when I disagree with it and
think I can get away with it.  This, of course, makes me a common
criminal.  But I'd rather be a common criminal doing 85mph than
someone trying to change the system through legal means doing 55mph
(or 65mph) until (unless) I succeed.  
-- 
Matthew T. Russotto      [email-masked]     [email-masked]
"Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice, and moderation in pursuit
of justice is no virtue."