Subject: Re: yielding to frustration

From: Mark Vodhanel <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Jul 1995 03:31:49 GMT

>In general, people who do this are trying to be "nice" by letting in
>someone who is required by law to yield to them because they figure
>"if I don't let this person in, he'll never get a chance to merge".

One thing I remember from my last driver test cram was that it is actually 
wrong *not* to take the right of way, when it is yours - courtesy, or no 
courtesy.  I suppose one of these generous souls could end up losing an 
accident dispute, if it could be proved that the front driver stoped 
unexpectedly, or, in other words, yeilded when it was inapropriate.  Of 
course, I'm just armchair speculating here.  

Really though, the traffic situation is simply too competetive, and 
cut-throat at that, and not everyone is up to dealing with it.  So, it is 
tough to get angry at these drivers.  I just wish CalTrans and Metro would 
just make a concious effort to design the intersctions, and merges in such 
a way that everone is forced to wait their turn in line.  Traffic would be 
so much bearable, even if it were slow.  Make maneuvers such as passing on 
the right on surface streets impossible, and meter freeway lane merges 
more orderly fashion.  I'm dreaming here though....