[Prev][Index][Thread]

Re: Speed limits v actual spd

Mr. Traffic (Kenny Morse) wrote:

>Simple......1: It's the law.
>                 2: If you don't like the law...change it...or break it &
pay!
>                 3: Since WAY too many people are doing stupid things
like
>tailgaiting, weaving lanes, DUI.....they drive with no license...they
drive with
>no insurance.....I could go on.......until we have laws or education that
stop
>people from these behaviors, until then, speed IS a factor!!  I wish it
was
>otherwise.

You may not realize this but many of the people you have been arguing with
have been advocating a change in the speed laws.  You might also consider
that if freeway enforcement of speed limits were not so lucrative and
easy, there would be more time and incentive for police (and their
management) to pursue the dangerous types you list.

>You know....many people who post here probably have NEVER been in an
>injury crash, cause if they had, they probably would feel that the
consequences
>of operating a moving bullet....a motor vehicle, NEEDS the strictest of

I have a close relative who lost a wife and daughter to a drunk driver a
few decades ago and he suffered broken bones and other injuries himself.
In addition, I have since lost a brother and a brother in-law in
automobile accidents.  I have totalled two cars and rolled another myself
(always drinking, all before 1974).  Every accident that I have personal
knowledge of involved someone who was impaired or incompetent to drive.
Only one was on a freeway and that was in the middle of the night, where
my brother-in-law (who shouldn't have driven at all) was overrun by a
semi, after he had been driving for more than 20 hours.  I haven't even
had a close call since I quit drinking in 1974, and I drive very fast and
agressively (though I don't tailgate often) on freeways.  The relative who
lost his wife and daughter drives more agressively and takes more chances
than I do and has been doing it for longer, again without incident for
several decades.

>regulations.  When I observe on a daily basis, the stupid things that
>Californian's are doing on the road, and the consequence of those actions
>on themselves, and sadly, others....it makes me VERY cautious.  Most
>people who end up like Christopher Reeve, get there because someone
>made a mistake BEHIND THE WHEEL.  A life sentence.

Frankly, eating too much fat is much more dangerous than exceeding the
speed limit sober in daylight on a limited access freeway.  If the speeder
has enough sense to slow to near the speed of traffic he is overtaking,
the danger is really small.

Mark Folsom