Subject: DUI vs. Wet Wreckless??HELP!

From: Steven <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Aug 1995 06:31:23 GMT

There I was. My day in court and my attorney was making headway with the
city DA but couldn't get him to give me the lesser Wet Wrecless. 
Instead, he lowered the fine and didn't suspend my license.  My lawyer
brought me the plea bargain to which I asked what is the long term
difference to me between the WW and DUI?  He said not much that the WW is
just a made up term but my insurance company would look at a WW and DUI
equal and that I should take the DUI and $400 fine which saved my the
usual $1,200 saving $800.

I did.

Now I'm concerned that my insurance rates will go up more with a DUI than
a WW so that while I may have saved $800 today, over a three yr probation
period, my insurance cost will be much more expensive than if I got a WW
assuming the fine stayed at $1,200 but my probation period might have
been less and my yearly insurance assessment less over less time.

Can anyone compare the 2 scenarios for me?  thanks.

---

From: [email-masked] (John Edward Miller)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 17:08:42 GMT

Steven ([email-masked]) wrote:
: There I was. My day in court and my attorney was making headway with the
: city DA but couldn't get him to give me the lesser Wet Wrecless. 
: Instead, he lowered the fine and didn't suspend my license.  My lawyer
: brought me the plea bargain to which I asked what is the long term
: difference to me between the WW and DUI?  He said not much that the WW is
: just a made up term but my insurance company would look at a WW and DUI
: equal and that I should take the DUI and $400 fine which saved my the
: usual $1,200 saving $800.

Maybe I missed something here, but I'd like to know why (a) I should have
any sympathy for your situation, for that matter (b) why you should even 
have a license, much less insurance or a car, when you're through with this?

Perhaps the cost of insurance will give you a little less to spend on beer?

John.

---

From: [email-masked] (KENNY MORSE)
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 1995 12:26:36

>Perhaps the cost of insurance will give you a little less to spend on beer?

Good for you John!

Kenny Morse
"Mr. Traffic"

---

From: [email-masked] (Dan Hepner)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 18:21:01 GMT

>From: Steven <[email-masked]>
>Subject: DUI vs. Wet Wreckless??HELP!

>been less and my yearly insurance assessment less over less time.

They're both treated the same by most insurance companies, which is to say, 
real bad.

Dan Hepner

---

From: [email-masked] (Jason O'Rourke)
Date: 1 Aug 1995 19:10:29 GMT

>city DA but couldn't get him to give me the lesser Wet Wrecless. 

At least in our state, the insurance companies treat both offenses the 
same way.  On a legal basis, they are slightly different in levels of 
severity. 

Expect to pay a lot for insurance (average cost of DUI is ~$6000 for all 
costs), and don't whine about it.  If the DA wouldn't cut a deal, you 
more likely than not were well above the limit.

Jason O'Rourke