Subject: Speeding by schools [was: Fought my ticket and won...]

From: [email-masked] (Jessica Fistere)
Date: 12 Aug 1995 03:12:14 GMT

Dan Howell ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I received a traffic ticket, for 52 in a 25, clocked with radar.  He offered
[snip]
: include a high school, a school bus depot, a YWCA, and an adult school.
[snip]
: still win if I was able to show that my speed was safe under the conditions.
: Given clear, dry weather and light traffic, and cross-examination questions
: designed to get the officer to admit that he was not driving unsafely when HE
: was obviously driving much faster than 25 in order to pursue me, I was hoping
: that this would be enough to claim that my speed was safe.  This however, I
: believed to be the weakest part of my argument.

Uhhh... does it occur to anyone that someone just *should* *not* be driving by
schools and YMCAs at 52 miles per hour???

It seems to me that the easiest way to beat a ticket is to not get one.  Sure
a lot of people go 30 or 35 in a 25mph zone (me too I admit)...  but 52???
I'd be upset if the cop didn't give you a ticket.  At least you had to hit the
brakes to stop when he pulled you over.

How could you possibly argue that 52 mph is safe under any road conditions
when you're driving by school and Ys?  Do all the speeding you want where you
can't hurt anyone but yourself - but don't go putting the lives of other
people (especially our kids) in danger.

My $.02 --
		Jessica

---

From: [email-masked] (Jessica Fistere)
Date: 12 Aug 1995 03:12:14 GMT

My $.02 --
		Jessica

---

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Atkinson)
Date: 12 Aug 1995 16:47:00 -0400

>schools and YMCAs at 52 miles per hour???

School speed zones are only in effect when children are out, often duren 
the begging of the day, lunch, and when they are let out.  When all the 
children are safely in the building or not even there there is no need to 
slow down.  Well YMCA's may be a bit of a diffrent story but it all 
deponds on how close the road is the the YMCA and how good your sight 
distence is.

-- 
* Kevin Atkinson, Clarknet I'net Serv., Maintainer of the Usenet Info Center *
*     Finger [email-masked] for more info on Usenet Info Center.         *
*    Or send mail to [email-masked]  with a subject line of HELP.        *
*  This is in its beginning stages and I could use any help I could get!     *

---

From: Dai F Toyama <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 18:47:52 -0700

On 14 Aug 1995, Michael Joseph Lorello wrote:

> Jessica Fistere ([email-masked]) wrote:
> 
> : Uhhh... does it occur to anyone that someone just *should* *not* be 
> : driving by schools and YMCAs at 52 miles per hour??
> 
> What about when school is out for the summer and there are no kids in 
> sight? 
> Mike
> 

I agree with Mike.  IMO, there is just no place where you can drive at
50+ MPH unconditionally.  Hard rain often turns a freeway into a 40-MPH
road.

At the same time, there's hardly any place where you just *should not*
be driving by at that speed under any circumstances.  The road in front
of an elementary school near my place is pretty wide and flat.  I don't
think it's dangerous to drive there at 60 MPH at 2:00AM.

Dai

      |~~~~~~~~\    *----------------------------------------------------*
 |)=+||       _/|   |  Dai F Toyama      ||  [email-masked]          |
 |==+||__-~~~~_/    |    School:         ||  Seattle Pacific University  |
 +-\\||__-~~~~ ||   |    Home page:      ||  http://paul.spu.edu/~borap  |
 | |\ ||            |    Company:        ||  HitMark Computer            |
  by Keith Wright   |    Automobile:     ||  1992 Acura Integra GS-R     |
                    *----------------------------------------------------*

---

From: [email-masked] (John P. Curcio)
Date: 14 Aug 1995 11:02:35 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, Kevin Atkinson <[email-masked]> wrote:

>slow down.

This isn't universally true.  In New York, school speed zones are in
effect from 7am to 6pm, on school days (this is from memory, which may
be a bit faulty... I can check if you want...).

-JPC

-- 
=============================================================================
John P. Curcio  [email-masked]  Philips Labs  Briarcliff Manor, NY
                "FOSTERS:  Australian for Bud, mate!!"
   "No goats, no boats, no motorcars, not a single 'yes-siree!'"  -BH

---

From: [email-masked] (John Keck)
Date: 15 Aug 1995 08:14:19 -0700

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (John P. Curcio) writes:
>                              In New York, school speed zones are in

In Pennsylvania, they have 15 mph speed limit signs with lights that flash
when the limit is in effect (when kids would be entering or leaving the
school).  They're synched to the clock, but not the calendar -- they go on
all summer, too!

-- 
jk
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Jonathan Keck   ALPHAREL/optigraphics, San Diego   [email-masked]