Subject: going through parking lot to avoid traffic light?

From: [email-masked] (Alexander Bykov)
Date: 10 Aug 1995 22:58:09 -0700

Hi,
when I come back home from work there is a traffic light on which I
need to make the right turn.
It would be no problem since I do not have to wait for the green
light; however, the traffic there is always backed up and I can never
make that right turn before the light changes to green.
However, there is a parking lot there through which I usually make it
around the corner to avoid the waiting(which sometimes can be rather
long).
I wonder if this is legal(actually, I am more concerned if cops ever
give tickets for that:) )
-- 
Alex Bykov [email-masked]
http://alicudi.usc.edu/~abykov/alex_bykov_home_page.html
--------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (The Pinhead)
Date: 11 Aug 1995 15:45:29 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Alexander Bykov) writes:
   I wonder if this is legal(actually, I am more concerned if cops ever
   give tickets for that:) )

I think it's legal as long as you don't pass any other cars on the right
while you are still on the road.

-- 
Ronald Cole                               E-mail: [email-masked]
Senior Software Engineer                          [email-masked]
OTCS Incorporated, a Brian Meyerpeter company     [email-masked]
            "The Bill Of Rights -- Void Where Prohibited By Law"

---

From: Jeremy Bergsman <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Aug 1995 17:33:58 GMT

A cop told me this was legal, but that if he saw people doing
it fast/recklessly that there were several technicalities that
he could use to give them a ticket.  I believe this had to do with
stopping before crossing the sidewalk, both on the way in and
out.

Jeremy Bergsman                                    
[email-masked]                      
http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~jeremybb

---

From: [email-masked] (Toe Knee...get it?)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 1995 07:26:16 GMT

>give tickets for that:) )

Someone had told me that there was some kinda vehicle code concerning
this, under the guise of _avoiding a traffic control device_, or
something to that effect, although if there were such a law, one could
get around it if pulled over for that by saying that one intended to
go through said lot (or gas station-another traffic light shortcut)
but changed his/her mind midway through...anyways, is there such a
law?

---------------------------------------------
Tony Oh, aka The Tonester
[email-masked]      (work-email sent here answered
                    M-F 12pm-8:30pm)
[email-masked] (play-email sent here answered
                    mornings before 11am and weekends)