Subject: Re: Driving over mountains: Do I need snow tires?

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Dailey)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 03:30:23 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Jim Hong) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Jim Hong)
>Subject: Driving over mountains: Do I need snow tires?
>Date: 25 Oct 1995 02:33:56 GMT

>Hey all,

>I plan on driving through Colorado in the middle of next month or so, and I
>was wondering that if there's snow falling or on the ground

Denver got at least 6" of snow this week.

>, will I need to
>put snow tires on?

Definitely yes.  Some states have traction device requirements, and if you 
don' t have the required equipment (it can be snow tires or chains), you can't 
use the road.  I don't know for sure if Colorado does this, but I'd be 
surprised if they don't.  Washington does, and they strictly enforce it.

>I drive a '91 Integra GS.  My current tires are Pirelli P400STs with about
>15,000 miles on them.

Check to see if your tires are mud and snow rated.  If they are, there will be 
a "M+S" on the sidewall.  If your tires have this mark, they are legally snow 
tires (at least in WA they are; check with CO to see what their requirements 
are).

It's always a good idea to carry chains regardless of what tires you have.

>Do they plow the passes well there?

I've not been through CO in the winter, but my guess would be yes, especially 
on I-70.

-----
Steve
Woodinville, Washington USA
[email-masked]