Subject: Re: Scenery, Serenity . . . Highway 25

From: [email-masked] (Al Stangenberger)
Date: 31 Oct 1995 00:06:10 GMT

Glenn Mandelkern ([email-masked]) wrote:

: There's a set of unpaved dirt roads that are fun to drive and it seems
: not too many people know about them.  But do it in a 4-wheel drive!
: This area called Clear Creek you can get to using the above mentioned J1, 
: and Panoche Roads.  Instead of heading towards Paicines, go the other 
: way where it becomes New Idria Road.  Back in the 1850's there were 
: some mines in this area and this was the road taken there.

Mining around New Idria may have started in the 1850's, but it was 
active until about the late 1970's when New Idria Mining shut down
the big mine at New Idria.  I think it shut down because of a decline
in the demand for mercury, not because the deposits were exhausted.

--
--
Al Stangenberger                      Univ. of California at Berkeley
[email-masked]            Dept. of Env. Sci., Policy, & Mgt.
BITNET: FORAGS AT UCBNATUR            145 Mulford Hall # 3114
(510) 642-4424  FAX: (510) 643-5438   Berkeley, CA  94720-3114