Subject: Re: Hwy 17 Crash Season

From: [email-masked] (John Reece)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 95 19:58:10 GMT

>>What is the history of Hwy 17's posted speed limit?
>
>In Richard Beal's book it says that originally it was 45, then raised
>to 65, then dropped to 55 on the Santa Clara side, and finally in 1960
>dropped to 50 in the mountain portion.

Is this "Highway 17".  I only recall it saying the speed limit
on 17 was once 65 mph.  Remember that "17" also covers 
freeway portions north of Los Gatos and through Scotts
Valley.  These stretches were *definitely* 65 until the
oil embargo.  Even this leadfoot can't conceive of a 65mph limit
over the summit, especially in an era when there
was no center barrier along most of it and everyone drove
monster land yachts.

John Reece               | Kato Kaelin - bimboy to the stars
Not an Intel spokesman   |

---

From: [email-masked] (Ludis Langens)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 06:20:14 GMT

>was no center barrier along most of it and everyone drove

The book implied that the numbers it gave were for the highway portion
and not the freeway portion.  Someone else here posted some slightly
contradicting data.

An interesting quote from the book is that "at night and during daylight
off hours" ... "teenagers used to race over the road, utilizing all four
lanes."  This implies that perhaps a limit of 65 did exist but might
have been reached only rarely.  There _are_ a few straight spots where
65 could be a reasonable limit.

Ludis Langens
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Glenn Mandelkern)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 01:05:50 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Kenneth E. Long <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Richard Beal's book?  Can you give me the title of this so I can find 
>it?  Thanks!
>

Author  Beal, Richard A.
Title   Highway seventeen : the road to Santa Cruz

I've seen this book in a number of bookstores in San Jose and Santa Cruz.
It's got a light brown and white cover.  Some libraries also carry it, 
its number is 979.47.

-- 
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glenn Mandelkern                                            Hee, hee, hee, hee!
[email-masked]                                       Questor the Elf lives!
Games, GUI's and Entertainment    What does Motif sound like in the key of C++?