Durham/Chapel Hill Scottish Country Dancers
About our group
Our weekly dance class meets Thursdays, 7:30-9:30. Please join us! New dancers are always welcome (though it's helpful if you can come at the beginning when you're new).
- Triangle Dance Studio, 2603 S. Miami Blvd, Durham, NC [map and directions]
- Bring clean, soft-soled shoes
- No partner necessary
- Cost per class: $5
- For more information, or for parking tips, please contact:
- No class Thursday, July 10 (Happy Thistle School!)
- Class resumes Thursday, July 17
About Scottish Country Dancing
Scottish Country Dancing is a great way to meet people and get some exercise while stretching your brain and having fun.
In most dances, three or four couples dance together in a set. Dancers use several types of steps, which derive from ballet, and the couples in a set form figures like "allemande" or "reel (hey)" — many of which are related to figures in traditional American dance forms such as contra dance or square dance. And the music is wonderful!
For more information, see "What is Scottish Country Dancing, Anyway?" by Anselm Lingnau.