The News Division of the Special Libraries Association invites graduate students and December 2008 graduates interested in a career in news librarianship to apply for the Vormelker-Thomas Student Award.
The award, co-sponsored by the News Division and ProQuest, is a $1,500 stipend to assist students attending their first Special Libraries Association Annual Conference. The 2009 Annual Conference will be June 14-17, 2009 in Washington, DC.
1. Applicants must be members of the Special Libraries Association when they apply for the stipend.
2. Applicants must be attending their first SLA conference.
3. Applicants must be graduate students or December 2008 graduates interested in a career in news librarianship.
4. Applications must include:
• a word-processed essay (500-1,000 words) addressing an issue in news librarianship
• a letter of reference from a news librarian, a news editor, or a faculty member
• a resume
• a list of course work undertaken
• a statement of professional goals
• a statement of what the applicant expects to gain from attending the conference
5. Applications must be e-mailed no later than Wednesday, March 4th at 5 p.m.
E-mail applications to:
A Word document with these stipend application guidelines is available via the SLA News Division Web site.