Click for ... United States News | International News |
Broadcast News |
Media Directories | News Search Engines
Sources for United States News
- U.S. News Archives on the Web lists many U.S. newspapers with online archives.
- An About.com guide maintains a page of newspaper directory links.
- ABYZ News Links lists a variety of news sources, including broadcast outlets.
- If you have access to a commercial search service, check out this alphabetical list of full-text
papers available online. You can also search the list by state
or country. You must have access to an account with one of these services to search and download stories.
- The Internet Public Library's Newspapers list includes college and university student newspapers and has a browse by title feature.
- Kidon Media Link lists sources in the United States and all over the globe, as well.
- Many libraries collect newspapers and other periodicals. If you have problems finding what you're seeking online, you might want
to contact your local librarian. S/he might be able to assist you.
- Maine.Info has Maine Media, which provides links to and information about publications and radio and television stations in the state of Maine.
- The Library of Congress has a list of news resources, too. If you're looking for something old or obscure, be sure to visit their Newspaper Indexes/Archives/Morgues page. Their Newspaper & Current Periodical Reading Room Web site is peppered with useful resources.
- Metagrid includes magazines as well as newspapers.
- News Directory's list of newspapers by state. Links are sorted by area code. Can also find college newspapers, non-daily US papers, tv news, magazines, or search for papers by country. (formerly Ecola's newsstand)
- Newsbank's News Library provides access to
the full-text archives of many news sources across the United States. With an
account, you can download full-text versions of over
16 million stories for $2.95 per story. Their FAQ
provides more information. Searching is free, but only subscribers can download the full-text of stories.
- At NewsLink, you can search for news sources.
Newslink is a professional and academic research and consulting firm studying visual journalism and electronic publishing. The sources do not always have online
- A sister company to Heritage Microfilm, Newspaperarchive.com provides access via a membership to more than twenty million newspaper pages.
- The Newspaper Association of America lists onlines newspapers through
Newspaper Links. They also list Canadian papers, international papers, and college newspapers.
- The Paper Boy lists news sources from all over the country.
- An effort to digitize and make available small town newspapers, Small Town Papers includes sources from many small United States cities and towns.
- US Newspaper List includes a variety of United States news sources, like local television stations, as well as newspapers.
Sources for International News
- A great source for broadcast news is 100000 Watts. It lists radio and TV stations around the United States, gives basic information about them, and links to their Web sites. You can search by state, frequency, call letters, and more.
- Gary Price's News and Information via Streaming Audio & Video lists international sources that broadcast news over the Internet or have clips you can view or listen to over the Internet.
- World Radio News has a list of their member stations, which includes international stations.
- ABYZ News Links lists a variety of international broadcast and Internet news sources, as well as print outlets.
- All Media Directory by Media Post requires free registration for its data on thousands of stations, publications, and Web sites. It also has contact information for thousands
of people working in media.
- The Gebbie All-in-One Press Directory (Web Resources) provides links to newspapers, magazines, and TV and radio stations across the country.
- If the publication belongs to The Association of Business Media Companies, their listing might be in the association's directory.
- The Association of Alternative Weeklies lists alternative papers in the United States and Canada.
- Canadian Business Press Directory by the Canadian Business Press Association includes farm, professional, and business sources.
- Media UK Internet Directory has information about magazines, radio stations, newspapers, and television.
News Search Engines
- 1stHeadlines allows the searching of headlines and browsing by topic and geographical area.
- Alta Vista News is rumored to search more sources than Google News and allows for some sophisticated searching, like narrowing by date, region, and some selected sources. It also features top headlines.
- Google News allows the searching of 4500 news sources and highlights major news articles and popular searches. It also has an alert service.
- Newshub aggregates news from a variety of sources and updates the headlines every 15 minutes.
- NewsNow includes more than 10,000 sources in more than 15 languages in its search, including broadcast sources.
- Rocket News features top headlines, searches weblogs, books, white papers, and corporate information as well as thousands of news sources, and has search features like narrowing by date and continent.
- Total News has browsable categories as well as a search engine.
- Yahoo! News offers a portal page with many categories of items as well as text, image, audio, and video search options.
Many libraries collect or have access to newspapers, magazines, and other news sources, including international and broadcast materials. If you have problems finding what you're looking for online, perhaps your local librarian can assist you.
SLA News Division Home
This page was initially compiled by Margot Williams, The Washington Post, with George Washington University Journalism 190 students and Christian Bourge.
Last Update: 03/14/06
Send comments about the site to email@example.com
Please note that our Web team cannot assist with research requests.