Research Editor, Kitchen and Home
ConsumerSearch.com, a leading online publisher of product reports designed to help consumers make purchasing decisions, is seeking a full-time Research Editor to specialize in kitchen and home topic areas. ConsumerSearch is a service from About.com, a part of The New York Times Company.
This person will assign and edit a range of detailed reports prepared by a network of freelance writers who analyze and synthesize product and service reviews from multiple online and offline sources. Candidates with an interest and background in cooking, home appliances (large and small), home improvement/maintenance, cleaning and organization are especially sought and encouraged to apply.
Candidates must have strong fact-checking and line editing skills and the ability to be the reader’s advocate by looking at the work they edit as if they were seeking concise and compelling online research before buying a product or service. You must also be able to adapt to our content’s format and tone, be resourceful and be an innovative researcher.
- Line edit a minimum of four (4) 300 to 3,000 word product reports each week
- Track product and competitor trends as well as recommend new product categories to cover
- Write product descriptions or full reports as needed
- Manage, develop and coach freelance writers
- Find holes in articles and work with writers to fill them
- Use Web-based publishing tools to edit and produce content
- Analyze reports for search engine optimization
- Represent ConsumerSearch in the media and at conferences
- Contribute to the ConsumerSearch blog and social media pages
- Provide editorial direction and product support for at least one special project each year that can improve user experience, increase traffic or otherwise enhance ConsumerSearch.com
- At least two years experience working in an editorial capacity for a consumer-oriented website.
- Background in consumer-advocacy, home and garden and/or cooking desirable.
- Background in product research or testing a plus
- Experience creating online content and writing for the web; blogging and/or Facebook/Twitter experience a plus
- Skill collaborating with writers to enhance their work
- Track record of working independently and taking initiative
- An obsession with hitting deadlines
- Experience using Associated Press style
- BA in Journalism, communications, or English preferred
- Strong computer skills including using Web-based publishing tools and communicating with instant messenger; basic HTML a plus
- All potential editors must complete a sample assignment as part of the interview process.
ConsumerSearch.com is part of The New York Times Company’s digital operations, which includes the #1 newspaper site NYTimes.com, Boston.com and About.com. ConsumerSearch.com is not affiliated with the New York Times newspaper.
The New York Times Company is committed to a policy of providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation or disability.