Information Technology Specialist 2 (Database and IT Specialist)
Bulletin number: 2012-042NJ
Closing date: 9/5/2012
Note: The college will be closed on 9/3/2012 in observance of Labor Day.
The Evergreen State College is committed to prohibiting discrimination and to building a diverse faculty and staff and has both a non-discrimination policy and an affirmative action plan. We strongly encourage qualified persons of all races, ethnicities, and sexual orientations, people with disabilities, persons over forty, women, Vietnam Era and disabled veterans to apply.
There is currently one full-time classified, overtime eligible Information Technology Specialist 2 position available at The Evergreen State College. The candidate pool established from this announcement may be used to fill comparable permanent, full-time, part-time and temporary vacancies in the future.
The Evergreen State College is a progressive, public liberal arts and sciences college located in Olympia, Washington, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Since opening its doors in 1971, Evergreen has established a national reputation for leadership in developing innovative interdisciplinary, collaborative and team-taught academic programs. The college has a vibrant undergraduate program, graduate programs, and several public service centers that constitute a unique academic setting. The college values a student-centered learning environment, a link between theory and practice, and a multicultural community of diverse faculty, students and staff working together. Current enrollment is approximately 4,800. For more information about Evergreen, please visit our college catalog or our website: http://www.evergreen.edu
- Experience and training may be considered in salary placement.
- Salary range is $3,726 to $4,888 per month of full-time work of work.
- A full benefits package which includes: generous sick leave and vacation leave each year; paid holidays; a generous medical, dental, life and disability insurance package for employees and dependents; retirement; deferred compensation and optional supplemental retirement accounts. For more information about Evergreen’s excellent employee benefits, view http://www.evergreen.edu/
- Staff are eligible for a free local bus/transit pass; and
- After completion of the probationary period, employees are eligible for the tuition waiver program.
The Information Technology Specialist 2 (Database and IT Specialist) serves as the primary customer relationship management (CRM) database administrator for the Development and Alumni Programs team and as such, mines the database and extracts data for the purposes of direct marketing, maintains and updates data to ensure data integrity within the database and prepares datasets for use by colleagues in direct mail, e-marketing, telemarketing, and for research purposes.
NATURE AND SCOPE
Under general supervision of the Associate Vice President for Development and Alumni Programs, the position follows established procedures and protocols to contribute to the day-to-day delivery of Evergreen’s annual giving program, alumni programs communications, major and planned giving programs and other development initiatives requiring data and/or technical support. The position works collaboratively within the Advancement Division and campus community to ensure data standards are achieved and technology solutions are accessible to both highly technical and non-technical staff. The position also provides general technical support for Development and Alumni Programs technology solutions. This position may assist in strategic information technology planning for the Division.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three years experience in the following areas:
- Mining and extracting data from CRM (customer relationship management) database software, e.g. SCT Banner, Raiser’s Edge or similar, as well as maintaining the database and preparing data for the purposes of fundraising, direct marketing, telemarketing and e-marketing.
- Using Microsoft Access and Excel to mine and to extract data from a CRM database.
- Analyzing, designing, programming, installing and maintaining computer software applications, hardware, telecommunications and network infra-structure equipment, providing customer and technical support in information technology and managing complex software upgrades.
- Experience in higher education, fundraising, and non-profit organizations.
Customer Relationship Management (CRM) System Administration (75%)
- Develop, build and execute complex queries using a (CRM) database for the purposes of direct marketing, telemarketing, research (data mining), and reporting.
- Extract constituent segments and prepare segments for a variety of uses including telemarketing, e-marketing, direct mail.
- Perform general maintenance of the constituent database to ensure database integrity through extensive data clean up of database constituent records including data entry.
- Hire, train and coordinate student employees for the purposes of data entry and maintenance. Regularly check student work for accuracy.
- Maintain the database validation forms, control forms and other related processes, as well as be responsible for associated documentation.
- Assure compliance with campus security protocols for computer systems and in consultation with Computing and Communications assure that systems unique to Development and Alumni Programs meet similar requirements.
- Collaborate and/or negotiate with the campus-wide Banner Users Group on data entry standards, use of database forms, and other shared and related issues.
Technical Support/Troubleshooting (10%)
- Serve as technical support for software applications for Development and Alumni Programs including using, maintaining, testing upgrades and new systems, and general troubleshooting. Software and related systems include but are not limited to: Banner, CashNet On-Line Giving, RuffaloCody CampusCall, Greater Giving Auction Pay, Basecamp online project management system, My Emma (e-marketing).
- Provide primary technical support for Evergreen’s Annual Fund. Provide operational/technical support for the campus call center including software application and hardware maintenance.
- Provide support for event management using Banner and third-party software solutions.
- Resolve technical problems in consultation with Computing and Communications and Client Services including interfaces between Development and Alumni Programs and administrative computer systems, network security and user role management.
Project/Upgrade Support (5%)
- Under guidance from project managers and in collaboration with Computing and Communications, assist in implementing new applications (e.g. alumni constituent community, matching gifts) and upgrading existing applications (e.g. CashNet On-Line Giving, RuffaloCody CampusCall telemarketing system) to meet strategic priorities including defining the scope, scheduling design, maintenance, testing and quality assurance of the applications.
- Assist clients with defining and prioritizing data requirements and understanding the scope of the project including system capabilities and limitations.
- Oversee the work of vendors responsible for installing the systems.
- Coordinate projects related to including new sources of information to the database (e.g. constituent screenings, alumni directory, student roll, matching gifts).
- Work with Computing and Communications unit to establish and utilize test and production environments for relevant modules of college wide systems.
Training / Documentation (5%)
- In a collaborative environment assess training needs, approaches, and course materials for Development and Alumni Programs systems.
- Conduct user training, including but not limited to CRM database and Microsoft Access.
- Create system and user documentation and instruct users on system software.
- Identify and document data entry standards and update procedures manuals.
Additional Duties (5%)
- Field customer service requests and needs from across campus.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to mine and to extract data from databases for the purpose of fundraising, direct marketing, telemarketing, specifically using Excel and Access.
- Ability to develop, build and execute complex queries using a CRM database for the purpose of direct marketing, telemarketing and research (data mining), specifically using Excel and Access.
- Ability to prepare datasets for use in direct marketing, fundraising, telemarketing, e-marketing.
- Ability to maintain CRM databases specifically related to fundraising, direct marketing, telemarketing.
- Knowledge of CRM databases specifically related to fundraising, telemarketing, direct marketing, e-marketing.
- Ability to maintain a constituent database and to employ strategies for ensuring data integrity.
- Knowledge of alumni community, matching gift, and online giving software systems.
- Ability to use and to maintain alumni community, matching gift and online giving software systems.
- Ability to develop, build and execute complex queries in order to produce reports.
- Advanced skill and ability in using Microsoft Excel and Access.
- Ability to safeguard confidential information and to adhere to database security protocols.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate specialized technical information in understandable terms to management, faculty and staff.
- Ability to provide timely, comprehensive technical support, including diagnostics, troubleshooting, and repair, for colleagues in Development and Alumni Programs.
- Ability to assist with implementing new technology.
- Knowledge of fundraising terminology and Council for the Advancement & Support of Education (CASE) Management & Reporting Standards as well as generally accepted fundraising and accounting terminology and principles.
- Ability to work effectively with culturally diverse staff, faculty, students, customers and the public.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective collaborative working relationships with diverse groups of employees at all levels with the college.
- Ability to prioritize a variety of projects and assignments requiring a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to employ effective problem solving, analytical, and time management skills.
- Ability to conduct system analysis related to Development and Alumni Programs software.
- Ability to train end-users in basic business functions and processes related to computer programs and applications and to create associated training and documentation.
- Ability to hire, train and oversee student workers in data entry projects and in doing so, ensure a high degree of accuracy in their work.
- Ability to thrive in a team-oriented, fast-paced collaborative environment.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three days of beginning work and may be required to submit to a background check; and
- This position is assigned to part of the institution that is covered by a union shop provision of the Department of Personnel/Higher Education Division. Therefore, new employees are required to pay dues to the Federation of State Employees within thirty days of their hiring date.
Please carefully read the job bulletin and submit all requested items by the closing date listed above. The committee in its screening of applicants will assume your abilities and experience include only those elements specifically documented within your application materials.
TO SUCCESSFULLY APPLY AND BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION YOU MUST COMPLETE AND SUBMIT ALL THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
1. Possess the skills and abilities required to perform the position;
2. Complete the General Application form (Word | PDF); and
3. Complete a Key Skills and Abilities Inventory form (Word | PDF) to indicate your ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
By submitting a completed application for this position you are acknowledging that all of the information that you have submitted to apply for this job is true and complete to the best of your knowledge. You understand that The Evergreen State College may verify this information and that untruthful or misleading answers are cause for rejection of your application or dismissal if you are hired. If invited for an on campus interview, you may be required to pay your own travel expenses.
Materials may be submitted using any one of the following options:
Mail: The Evergreen State College
Human Resource Services, Library Bldg Room 3102
2700 Evergreen Parkway NW
Olympia, WA 98505
Fax: (360) 867-6823
Or in person to the Human Resource Services office, Libray Building room 3102.
Application materials submitted to the College become property of the College and will not be returned.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, call the Human Resource Services Office at (360) 867-5361 (voice), or (360) 867-6834 (TTY) or email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.