The Boston Globe’s Boston.com – among the top regional news, entertainment and sports websites in the country – is seeking an innovative, news-savvy producer who can join our team of award-winning digital journalists. Become part of New England’s most creative team of online professionals who serve the readers of Greater Boston as you develop our newest channel focused on Greater Boston’s Innovation and Technology sectors.
This position requires someone with business-writing and reporting skills, experience with digital curation and content creation, and a background of developing vibrant online communities of passion. The ideal candidate will also be technically savvy, can work well in teams, and know the latest industry trends in both the innovation sector and in digital-content creation.
* Build content and produce Boston.com’s Innovation section.
* Curate and create content to make the section a one-stop, must-read source for innovation and startup news in Massachusetts. The producer will post stories and blog entries from the Globe and other competitors, as well as create original content including stories, slide shows, polls, user-generated callouts, live chats, etc.
* Create features that foster community, making the section a gathering place for innovators, startups, and aspiring entrepreneurs in Massachusetts.
* Strong connections and knowledge of Greater Boston startup and technology ecosystem
* Work with colleagues to develop new online technologies to better serve our readers.
* Participate collaboratively with Globe print editors and counterparts to develop.
* Communicate with news staff to pitch stories and features for homepage promotion.
* Work with advertising and marketing units to ensure section conforms to business goals.
* Create video, audio, and other multimedia to enhance the experience within the section.
* Know and adhere to newsroom’s ethics policy.
* Collaborate with developers, graphics, and design to develop new content and treatments.
* Monitor competitors and other sources to ensure that readers get timely news and information.
* Post and interact with readers and innovation/startup community using Boston.com social media. Ideal candidate will be well versed in best strategies of engagement using social media.
* Set up, promote, and host chats with various experts on Boston’s Innovations community.
* Create special sections or content as assigned and work collaboratively with stakeholders.
* Send news alerts through various Boston.com channels, including e-mail, SMS, push alerts, etc.
* Cover live events, occasionally at night or on weekends.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor’s degree.
* Three to five years journalism experience, with at least two years in digital media.
* Solid writing and reporting skills for a digital publication.
* Knowledge of Photoshop, Web content management systems, and other digital technologies.
* Basic HTML
* Working knowledge of SEO strategies and techniques
Additional desirable, but not required, qualifications
* Ability to shoot, edit, and post video on the Web.
* Basic Web programming skills.
* Experience with photography