News Research Credit Policy at The Commercial Appeal
(Compiled from policies at other news
At many newspapers, librarians and researchers are given tagline credit for significant research on certain stories.
The following are suggested guidelines and a suggested form for assigning research credit:
Suggested Guidelines for Library Credit
- When research is especially time-consuming and/or includes many
different areas of research.
- When more than one library staffer spends significant time on the
- When the request involves significant expense (i.e. searching public
records databases) as well as time.
- When the librarian's research helps direct and shape a story (for example, if the librarian suggests important sources, area of investigation, key questions, etc.)
- When the librarian synthesizes information from several sources and
provides editors, artists or reporters with a conclusion or reporting
angle that improves a story or graphic.
- When the librarian compiles information from several sources for
publication (as in a chronology).
- When a reporter makes significant use of library-compiled databases
to produce a story.
- When an editor or the library director determines that the research
Suggested form for library credit:
The Commercial Appeal News Library staff assisted with research for this
Research assistance was provided by The Commercial Appeal News Library
Policies in News Libraries
SLA News Division Home
Posted on 12/04/01