- Before commencing gayatri japam some preliminaries such as Pranayamam,
sankalpah, pranayamam or pranayamam mantra japam, gayatri aavahanam should be
- For pratah and madhyanika it is done standing, while for sayam it is done
- The japam is done 10, 28, 108 or 1008 times.
- The counting is done in fingers, with thumb moving to different positions to
indicate the number. By using right hand for units and left hand for tens we
can count upto 100.
- The hands for counting should be covered by the upper garment.
- The hands are held at neck level for pratah, chest level for madhyanika and
navel level for sayam.
Bur bhuvah svahah
Tat savitur vareniyam
bhargo devasya dhimahi
diyo yo nah prachodyat
The mantra is in 5 sections, for Sandhyavandanam the first two sections are
combined and each of the four sections above should be uttered in one breath.
- Reciting a few times correctly with words and pauses will be better than
reciting several times incorrectly.