You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 1996

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00187 Nov 1996

Dear BhakthAs of Lord Srinivasa :

AzhwAr revealed to us in the first decad that the Lord
is our Upaayam. In the second decad, he instruced us that
He is our Upeyam . In the third decad , he described the
SubhAsrayam of the Lord . In the fourth decad , he dwells
further on the message of the second decad and states that
the fruits of seeking and attaining Lord as Upeyam is far
superior to Iswaryam (Riches ) and Kaivalyam ( the state of
existence of self in its true form as free from bondage ; a state
of Moksha ) .

The sections of the decad ( 4.3, 4.5 and 4.7 ) are particularly
important for the understanding of the concept of Daya of the Lord.

In decad 4.3 , AzhwAr celebrates the Aasritha Anyonyathvam of
the Lord . That arises from His Daya. In the magnificient verse,
4.3.3 ( Eka murthy Iru Murthy --) , AzhwAr asks Sriman NarAyana
a question : O Lord , You accepted my love and communed me with
great joy and appears as though You are better for that experience .
O my dear One ! What a stupendous effort you took to make me
Yours ? You seem to be happy that You have fulfilled Your goal
of creating me. " Both Your soul and my soul , so to say , are
now evidently satisfied ."

In pasuram 4.3.5( KaNNi Yenadhyuir --) , AzhwAr celebrates the
Vaatsalyam and AnukampA of the Lord further . He says : " My
master, who wields a Kala chakra in his right hand seems not
to be fully satisfied with the level of union with me. He has now made
my love the sum and substance of His glory . " What an honor it is for me
and my soul says the ecstatic AzhwAr at the thought of the Daya of the Lord.

In Pasuram 4.3.7 ( Kurai KazhalgaL --) , AzhwAr makes a discovery
about the depth and extent of Lord's daya and says joyously :
" O Lord ! All along I was thinking that I was drawing sustenance from
You ; now I have found out that You are drawing sustenance from my
soul. O Lord ! how can I even attempt to describe the vastness of Your Daya !

After experiencing the Lord's infinite mercy , in decad 4.5 Azhwaar
poses a rhetorical question: " What more do I need in all seven
births hereafter ? ".He says that he has become KrithArthan and
the Lord has elevated him to that exalted status.AzhwAr is overwhelmed
by the Lord's Daya and exults : " The Lord , who is the soul of all beings
and all worlds and of my soul too as well, made my soul enjoy Him
as He enjoyed my soul ; Could it ever be believed ? An all-pervasive
force enjoying and enlivening an atomic trifle ? A whole and an infinitesimal
part enjoying mutually and equally ? Miracle He makes ! ".

In verse 4.5.8 , celebrates his union with the Lord .He says : " I have
joined the Lord this day . For that very reason , He holds me dearer than
His consort Lakshmi . No surprise for those who know that he loves
most the latest devotee and the poorest in qualifications. "

IN decad 4.7 , AzhwAr celebrates the Lord as Sath Bahu GuNan,
one with limitlesss auspicious qualities. He reminds the Lord of His
daya and beseeches Him to come before him in physical form .

MaNavALa Maamuni salutes this great AzhwAr , who proved that
there is no supreme being worthy of worship than Sriman NarAyana
who is the root cause of this Universe and its chetanas and Achetanam
this way :

" ONRUMILAI THEVU IVVULAHAM PADAITTHA MAAL
ANRIYENA AARUMARIYAVEH --NANRAAHA
MOODALITTHU PESIYARUL MOIMAHIZHOHN TAAL THOZHAVEH
KAATHALIKKUMENNUDAYA KAI "

(MEANING): My hands will only salute the holy feet of
VagulAbharaNan , who proved clearly that there is no
supreme being other than Sriman NarayaNa that
created this Universe.

AzhwAr Thiruvadigaleh saraNam ,

Oppiliappan Koil Varadachari Sadagopan

Home Page