You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jun 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00081 Jun 2007

Jun 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear friends:

Many of the guidelines given in the Tamil version appear to be ordnances without justification. Some of them appear to be superstitions. At any rate one would expect clear-cut reasonings for the need to uphold the guidelines given. Instead, one could think of clear and positive guidelines with full justification, which when praciced would make our temple visits memorable and spiritually uplifting.

Inside the temple God is supreme, and adored and prayed to. In this respect I can understand the first and second guidelines given by Mr. Krishnamachari. It would make sense if we prostrate before Him inside the temple right in front of Him, but close to Him. What is the reason for not allowing one to prostrate within the limits of the dhwajasthambam (given in guideline #3)? I would suggest that the temple authorities create a special place right in front of the Lord where people can prostrate and show their reverence that way, if they like. It would be ideal if we can see Him from where we prostrate.

I could also add the following to the three items provided by Mr. Krishnamachari:

4. Since the temple is a pure place and should be so maintained, one should not make it unclean knowingly or unknowingly. This applies to all types of activities - such as throwing paper bits, banana peels or other wastes, and spitting, etc. on the floor. One should try, on the contrary, to help clean the temple premises.
5. Temple is a place for all and various people, including children and adults, come to worship there. It should be a healthy place in addition to being holy. Hence, one should not go to the temple when one is sick and carries contagious disease of any kind.
6. Smoking makes the air unclean and unhealthy, and drinking alcohol derails the mind of the person. Hence, these should not take place inside the temple.
7. Temple is a holy place of reverence. Here, silence and meditation on God in all of His/Her forms are practiced. Hence, one should avoid shouting or talking loud. Keep chanting the names of God or reciting some prayers instead. Pray in your own way within the norms.
8. All are part and parcels of God and one should respect other human beings inside the temple. Selfishness should be avoided. Keeping order and going in que to avoid crowding shall work out to everyone's advantage. The temple authorities should make sure that devotees go one behind the other and not crowd in the line as well.
9. Any activity that will hurt others should be avoided. This includes stealing, hitting (rubbing on women) and scolding, etc.
10. If you wish to engage in group prayers, such as in bhajans, join in bonafide groups or engage one around yourself and take part sincerely. Separate areas should be set aside inside the temple for such group prayers. Alternatively, engage bonafide temple priests to carry out prayer services for you and your family.
11. Since ladies, children and very old elders are weak and unable to withstand stress, enable them to worship easily. Appreciate the special help provided for the disabled and do not abuse the system.

I am sure many other sensible guidelines can be forwarded and I would encourage others to participate in this discussion.

A. Raman
Professor
aravaram@xxxxxxxxx

Narasimhan Krishnamachari <champakam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Since I do not know how to use Tamil font to respond, I am giving the following in English.  Three important items that can be added to this list are:

1. No one should ever prostrate to the priests inside the temple.  This is a common thing that I see being done in the North American system where I am.  The priests should know this simple rule, but they either do not tell the devotees not to prostrate to them in the house of the Lord, or they do not know this simple common-sense rule.

2. One should never clap in appreciation of any human being inside the temple, especially when the Lord is in Asanam in the manTapam.  This is another rule that is commonly violated in the North American temples, where the generous donors are given applause for their donation, or a dance or music performer is applauded for offering his/her skills in front of the Lord, or the trustees are given an applause for being trustees.

3. One should not prostrate (sAshTA'nga namaskAram) except outside the limits of the dvaja sthambham.

-dAsan Krishnamachari

"Dr. Sadagopan" <yennappan@computer.net> wrote:

SrI:

Daer BhakthAs :

Sriman Rajagopalan sent these valuable information
points for us all ,

Thank you sriman Rajagopalan ,
V.S