You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jun 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00083 Jun 2007

Jun 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Swamin,

I wish to clarify my stand on the observations made by some very knowledgeble members of some yahoo groups.

The collection of certain practises which should be avoided under the caption "திருக்கோயில்களில் செய்யக் கூடாதவை எவை" was compiled by one shri Thiru. I reproduced them as I found them to be informative and worth following.  My acknowledgements, appreciations and sincere thanks to Shri Thiru.

Two items of "திருக்கோயில்களில் செய்யக் கூடாதவை எவை" have attracted the attention of some members.  As far I know and could analyse, I am prompted to reply on them.
On the point " Pirappu, irappu theetu, Dr Sadagopan Swamy has amply dealt with the subject. May I add the following as a comman and lay man's point of view?
It is common knowledge that germs and viral bacteria do come out of human body when ever there is a death, flow of blood or exposure of flesh, These are more relevant during death and birth of a child. Our learned ancestors as a precautionary measure, to avoid  spread of such viral germs in public places
advised people affected (Theetu) by the above said death and birth to keep away from temples.

On the subject of avoidance of washing feet after visit to temples:
Normally, we keep our selves clean due to health and wellness reasons. We clean our selves after sleep, tiring hard work and like. We also clean ourselves when we visit important places and functions. This is done to have a congenial and condusive atmosphere. This is being practised when we visit temples. We also take bath after attending funerals etc. Thus for our physical purification, we keep our selves clean. During the visit to temple, we pray God. We forget all other things except remembering God  and his Creations, benevolent actions etc. Our heart is filled with Divine vibrations. We cheish the moments. We also sit in the temple Premises for a while so that those moments are retained in our memory. The act of washing our feet after visit to the temple erases all such memories and leaves impressions as if we have attended some unwanted and undesirable situations though this is  symbolic. Our ancestors, who have adopted doctrines, have kept them keeping the well being of the man kind in mind. Attempting to analyse such actions, perhaps will make us to find reasons even for silly things and turn us athiests and Divine haters. We follow chantings and utter them even without knowing their meanings and purposes. Let us follow this also like that. Let us not loose our traditional values in the name of modernity and objective thinking.

Shri  Narasimhachari has mentioned three more points to be added. One is that we should not perform sashtanga Namaskarams in the Sannadhi and the appropriate place is before the Dwajasthambam. It is an omission and we have to follow that. Regarding claps and appreciations in the temple premises for performances and benevolent acts, if it is in the auditorium attached to the temple or in some Mandapams in the praharam probably we could accommadate as we have to flatter patrons and performers in the interest of the temple.
 Shri Aravamudhan has suggested to permit sashtanga Namaskaram inside Sannadhi. Probably he has forgotten that it will be a biggest inconvenience to other bhakthas. All his other suggestions are followable.
Shri Geelakshman has suggested for dressing codes. In south Indian temples it is being followed. In Kerala temples wearing other than dhothies are prohibited. Ladies have to come in traditional dresses. Lunghies are not permitted in Tamilnadu Temples. His observation is  probably or U S temples.

Suggestions of Shri Srinivasan are worth adoption.

Probably we may have some more thought provoking suggestions.

                                                            S RAJAGOPALAN.

Looking for people who are YOUR TYPE? Find them here! __._,_.___

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
oppiliappan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list