You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Sep 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00008 Sep 2004

Sep 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri:

SrimatE Gopaladesika MahadesikAya Namaha,

Translation by U.Ve. Dr. V.N. Vedanta Desikan Swamin:

1004. sanGharShayanthi hrudhayAnyasathAm guNAmshE
      santhasthu santhamapi na praThayanthi dhOShAm
      thadhranganAThacharaNAvani! thE sthuthInA-
      mEkA param sadhasathOriha sAkshiNI thvam

Oh Ranganatha Paaduka! The bad people in our society will close their
eyes to the virtues but will harbour jealousy. The good ones, on the
other
hand, will keep silent over the defects. As such, You are the only
authority fit to judge the merits and demerits of this work.

Namo Narayana,

SriMuralidhara Dasan

Special Notes by V.Sadagopan (V.S):

Slokam 1004

1) UtthamUr  Swamy's anubhavam: Oh RanganAtha PaadhukE! The evil ones
try to point out good verses as having defects. The righteous ones do
not emphasize the defects and elect to praise the good aspects  of my
composition on You. Be that as it may, You are the ultimate judge of
good and bad in my verses. I am contented as long as You appreciate
my special efforts to praise You through this composition.

2) Srimath Andavan's anubhavam: The Paadhukai listens to Swamy
Desikan's response on the righteous ones (GuNa PakshapAthis) and asks
Swamy Desikan to explain who will judge the opinions of the righteous
about his Kaavyam. Swamy DEsikan responds:  " Oh Bhagavath anuroopa
sahacharee PaadhukE! You are indeed the best judge of such disputes
and differences of opinions. Like Your Lord! Where can I go to
have adjudication on the good and bad qualities of my Sahasram on
You? The Saadhus are GuNa PakshapAthis and hence will always speak
about the good aspects and play down any blemishes. The asaadhus (
dhushtans) have the inherent svabhAvam only to find faults. The GUNa
bhAgam will never get their attention. They will condemn my efforts
as worthless and insignificant. If we ask the busy people engaged in
chasing worldly things, they wont have any time for studying the
Sahsram. These would be positions of the anukoolar, prathikoolar and
the anubhayar as the three categories of people in this world.
What can I do? Who can I ask for an impartial judgement /review?

3)  Oh Rangaraja CharaNAvani ! Those aasura prakruthis will point out
all kinds of blemishes in my eulogy about You out of their envy (
asathAm hrudhayAni guNAmsE sangharshayanthy). The dhaiva prakruthis
will not publicize any blemishes out of their goodness ( Santhasthu
dhOshAm santhamapi na praTayanthi) . They explain the dhOshams and
pass it of as GuNams. Therefore inthe matter of determination of
blemishes or good aspects, YOu alone are the most dependable witness(
Tath tE sthutheenAm iha sadhasathO: Thvam param saakshiNee )...
(V.S).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM