You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Sep 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00021 Sep 2004

Sep 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:
Dearest Srivaishnavas,

Earlier, jnAnam (knowledge) on all matters, devotion
(bhakti) on the Lord alone were described on Sriman
NAthamuni. Bhakti is contemplation or meditation mixed
with love. Here, AzhwAr touches upon a bit about the
life of Sriman nAThamuni through which he describes
the limitless jnAnam and bhakti of Acharya and thus
explains he is part of the Guru parampara for him
(Alavandhar) and others in Srivaishnava sampradaya in
this second sloka.

thasmai namO maDhujidh anghri sarOja thathva
j~nAna anurAga mahima athishayantha sImnE |
nAThAya nATha munayE athra parathra cApi
nithyam yadhIya caraNau sharaNam madhIyam || - SR 2

thasmai- Such [as described earlier the one who is the
embodiment of jnAna, vairAgya, bhakti]
madhujith- of Bhagawaan who conquered Madhu asurA
angrisarOja- the lotus feet
tattva- true nature?s
jnAna anurAga- knowledge and intense love
mahimAdhisaya- glorious [peerless] greatness
antha seemnE- the zenith [of above- namely, jnAna,
anurAga, mahimAdhisaya]
nAThAya nAtha munayE- to The Master [nAThan] of
Srivaishnavas- Sriman nAthamuni
nama: my obeisance;
yadhIya charaNou- whose [Sriman nAThamuni] Feet;
athra pathra api cha- in this world [leelA vibhUthi]
and in this SrI vaikuNta [paramapadham where there is
no need for the upAyam- means]
madhIyam charaNam- my refuge- upAyam [the way] and
upEyam [the Goal]. [thasmai- such?]

For Sriman NAthamuni, the jnAna vairAgya, bhakti were
inherently in him in wonderful, marveloous manner
[athyAscharyam]- such greatest Acharya is now
described as the ultimate pinnacle of its height of
jnAna, vairAgya, bhakti in him in this verse. How? It
implies: Sriman Narayanan alone is Supreme entity
[Iswara] and thereby the Parathatthvam; the other
philosophies like Advaita are incorrect and do not
explain the overall scheme of things per Vedas and
saasthrAs ? Thus Sriman nAThamuni blessed us with such
unparalleled crystal clear concepts with his
nyAyatattva grantha [work]- says Swamy Desikan. Thus
compatible with such great qualities, he had complete
detachment [vairAgya] towards the worldly pleasure and
materialistic pursuits and thus he was resplendent
with greatest amount of bhakti [intense love and
devotion] for the Lord Sriman Narayanan. Being blessed
with the power of meditation, yoga, he focused on the
Lord with the intense love and devotion i.e. bhakti.
Through Karma, jnAna yoga, he could visualise and
realise the jeevathma?s glories and swaroopam and
knowing and realising that only through the divine
thirumEni- dhivya mangaLa vigrham of Sriman Narayanan
alone, he was able to attempt to have saakshAthkAram
[could enjoy the Lord literally within] and thereby
the bhakti grew exponentially day and by day.

That?s the time our blessed Acharya was blessed by the
Lord through few Srivaishnavas in KattumannarkOil
where they recited ArA amudhE ? eleven pAsurams from
NammAzhwAr Thirumaynozhi [5.8]?

ArA amudhE.. He immersed in the Lord?s insatiable
beauty when he heard these verses; Aaraa anudhE!
AdiyEn udalam ninpaal anbaayE" - Aaaraa amudhE! Oh
insatiable nectar! EmperumaanE! What a Divinely
Beautiful form is Your body! However many times I
enjoy that naver satisfies me, Lord! You are giving me
immense satisfaction that is limitless and unbounded.
Due to my love for You, my physical body also has been
melting along with my heart longing to see You. Oh
ThirumaalE! You have been literally killing me with
Your azhagu; I have been blessed to enjoy here at
Thirukkudanthai by seeing Your Most Beautiful form;

en naan seygEn? yaarE kaLaigaN? Ennai en seyginRaay?
Unnal allAl yaavaraalum onRum kuRai vENdEn.. To hold
Your Lotus Feet, there is
nothing that I can do; what is the link between the
action and me? Who is the support for me except You?

dhariyEn iniun chaaraNam thandhu en sanmam
kaLaiyaayE..
when he had heard all these sweetest great pAsurams,
his heart was melting with devotion and anubhavam and
he longed for the rest of the pAsurams as he heard
them saying at the end that these ten out of 1000?
[AyiratthuL ivai patthum], he realised that he will be
immensely benefited if he gets them all.

Thus he could reach the Ultimate zenith of devotion?
kaNNinunchiRutthambu was made available to him. He
uttered the 11 pAsurams of KanninuchiRutthambu of Sri
MadhurakaviAzhwAr [who had sung in praise of his
acharya NammAzhwAr] 12000 times without interruption;
Sriman nAryanan decided to save the world thorugh this
Acharya and instructed NammAzhwAr to be the Acharya
for Sriman nAThamuni and thus Sriman nAThamuni was
blessed to receive, enjoy the grace of Sri SaTakOpar-
NammAzhwAr- and receive not just his 1000; but all
4000 of all AzhwArs in addition to initiating him with
manthra, tattvArthams. Though he [Sriman nAThamuni]
had the capacity to perform bhakti yoga, SrI
nammAzhwAr instructed him to perform prapatti
[Saranagati] with five angas uttering the greatest
esoteric Dwaya mantra as such a perfroamnce in
accordance with saasthrAs would yield mOkshaanubhavam
at the end of the same life unlike bhakti yoga [where
one may have to take few more births].

Thus his anurAgam [intense love] has reached the
ultimate point. The Lord has greatest love for his
devotees - priyO hi jnAninOthyarttham aham sa cha mama
priya: and blessed them with the best arrangement to
make their devotion increase exponentially. Who else
would have been blessed by the Lord like Sriman
nAThamuni? Probably none at all. Thus he was blessed
with Parathatthva jnAnam, Parama hitham (Prapatti);
and Parama purushaartham. Thus he became the pinnacle
of jnAnam too. It was indeed to help us, the suffering
jeevans, that Nathamuni performed this thapas and had
the darsanam of NammAzzhwAr , who blessed Natha Muni
with the nAlAyira Divya Prabhandham and the sakala
SaasthrAs as well as the  knowledge along with the
performance of Prapatti and also about the life
history of the other AzhwArs (AzhwAr paramparai).

That jnAnam is complete and reaches its crescendo only
when one realises that the best way is Prapatti at the
Lotus feet through utterace of Dwaya mantra and that
is mentioned with the word angri sarOja tattva- [The
Lotus Feet]- writes SrI UttamUr Swamy very clearly and
beautifully. prApyam and prApakam are both Lotus Feet
thus.

Thus granting such jnAnam reminds [one of the First
and Prime Acharya] Sri Hayagrivan- Madhusudhanan- the
One who conquered and killed Madhu asurA and hence
refer Him as madhujith.. Now I have realised that it
is SwEthASwatharOpanishad which states: mumukshurvai
SaraNamaham prapadyE..  and thiNkalzhal sErE.. and
thuyaraRu sudar adi.. all mention His Lotus Feet. Thus
Sriman nAThamuni was blessed to be shining with the
jnAna anurAgam [knowledge and intense love].

With the relevant jnAnam and the way to reach Him
through Prapatti with no further births made him great
sadAcharya for others who became his sishya and thus
he became nAThan for all.

when upAyam was not clear, only athra (here in this
world); and after getting upadesam from Manakkaal
nambhI through the instruction (niyamanam) of Sriman
nAThamuni ? Sri Uyyakkondaar- now, it is paratha cha
api.. in Paramapadham as well.

Also yadheeya charaNou- may be interpreted as :
yadheeya- may infer UyyakkoNdaar and charaNou- his
sishya- namely maNakkaal nambhi.. thus mentioning his
acharya [implied] in this verse- enjoys SrI UttamUr
Swamy.

Alavandhar ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo narayana