You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Apr 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00089 Apr 2002

Apr 2002 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri Parthasarathi thunai,
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

Pranams,

Let us get the divine grace of the thayars in the
present posting. As Acharya Ramanuja started in his
Gadya Trayam with the prayer to Sridevi Nachiyar
(Ranganayaki) similarly my first posting was also on
the Thirukalyanam of Sri Vedavalli Thayar with Sri
Mannathan. Let me continue with the divine qualities
of this thayar.
When Arjuna asks Sri Krishna to tell him about his
vibuthi, Krishna is taken aback and replies that even
he himself cannot say in full about his divine
qualities. In our sampradayam piratti also has
innumerable kalyana gunas like the emperuman. When
emperuman or the vedas are unable to say about the
kalyana gunas of the emperuman or that of the piratti,
who am I, a mandha buddhi jeevatma trying to post
something about perumal and piratti. But as our
acharyas say this is no harm to the kalyana gunas of
the perumal and piratti but it will surely show us the
right path and enlighten us.
About Vedavalli thayar, her charm and beauty no words
can describe. If I say sugar will be sweet can anyone
really know the taste just because I tasted it? Even
thousands of words of description for the taste of a
dish cannot match to a person who actually tastes it.
Similarly, even if I select infinite number of words
from the dictionary and try to explain about Shree
Vedavalli thayar, it will be no match to the real
anubavam of being their in person and enjoying her
Kalyana Gunas. So please do go to Thiruvallikeni to
get the real anubhavam. To have the top most joy, go
and see the thayar during a friday evening Purapaddu
with the Madal Ghoshti. You will then realise that
there is no other joy in this world even miles close
to that. Then the 10 days Navarathri Utsavam for
thayar is THE absolute. I can say nothing more than
this.
There is one story in the guru paramparai. Once when
Ranganathan dressed himself like thayar wearing all
the jewels of thayar(Nachiyar tirukolam) came on
purapadu, one shisya of Sri Parasara Bhattar remarked
how beautiful perumal was and that he looks similar to
thayar. But Bhattar replied, "Yes he is very beautiful
but still he cannot have the same look of the
thayar"(AAnalum avvizhi vizhika vonnadu). Thayar has
a special kadakshum that even perumal doesn?t have.
That karunai vizhi is present with Vedavalli thayar
also, as in Srirangam we call her as Ranganayaki and
the same thayar in Thiruvallikeni is called Vedavalli.
Even in our day-to-day life, we see ladies have a
different name in their parents place and they are
called by a different name in their inlaws place. What
ever is in our ancestor?s practice it is shown by
perumal and thayar.

Then Sri Andal has a separate sannadhi here. She
being an alwar takes the post of thayar here, being
the consort of Sri Parthasarathi perumal. Andal wants
to be all in one. She begin an alwar, suddenly wants
to become a gopi and so assumes herself to be a gopi
and Srivilliputtur as Aayapadi and Mannar as Sri
Krishna and does the marghazhi nombhu and also gave us
the sweet 30 verses of Thiruppavai. Then Andal also
became the divine consort of the emperuman. It is well
known that Andal got married to Sri Ranganatha but the
beauty is Ranganatha has kalyana utsavam with
Ranganayaki, Andal and Uraiyur Nachaiyar at different
times of the year but in Thiruvallikeni Andal is
regarded as the sole Nachiyar for Parthasarathi with
whom he undergoes kalyana utsavam and serthi. Andal
has 10 days neerata utsavam in her special neerata
mandapam and also 10 days of aadipoora utsavam, which
ends with the kalyanam and the serthi. Andal stays in
the Parthasarathi sannadhi after this utsavam till the
next pooram after which she returns to her sannadhi.
Though vedavalli thayar is a padi thandha paththini
Andal is not like that. She is both modern and
traditional. She is a gopi, an alwar and a thayar and
henceforth has purappadu in the thiruveedhi and even
her neeratu mandapam is also outside the premises of
the Koil near the pushkarini. The way the neeratam is
done to Sri Andal is extraordinary. Though there is no
end to describe the divya dampadhis, still let me stop
with this. The next posting will be a conclusion.
I pray in the feet of the learned bhagavatals to
forgive all my mistakes and enlighten me with them
too.
To those of you, who have given their precious time
to read my postings 'talaiallal kaimarilene'.

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasyai
Sumithra Varadarajan