You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Apr 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00014 Apr 2004

Apr 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

In the time management, every small or big task, minor or major act, Or work to
be done consumes 'time'. See 'time management' - how tight and delicate it is -
even one loose link - in the chain - other things will go put.  This is what is
the aspect to study here.

In the paasuram under discussion, aazhvaar starts with 'thariththiru irunthEn'
- I was wearing some thing - - let it be any thing, he wore. That also requires
some sort of preparation of that material to become fit for wearing, and
spending some time to wear it. Prior to that act of wearing, the person also
should prepare himself to receive that material - so again 'time' - pOdhu - to
do all these.

Now what is that he was wearing - if you are curious to know - again we have to
spend some time to look at the previous paasuram. There he says 'he was wearing
thuzhaai maalai' - vaijayanthee haaram - garland of tulasi leaves.

Now let us spend 'time' to look into details of the paasuram again -"unnaith
theriththu ezhudhi vaasiththum kEttum vaNangi vazhipattum poosiththum pOkkinEn
pOdhu". Let us see how each is linked in the above chain - unnaith theriththu -
unnaith therinthu - came to know about you or learnt from some body about you.

[for grammar sake n has become th - elaboration on this aspect not required
here as it will consume time, and also as aadhi sankara says 'dukrunj karaNE'
is a waste of time, it is not required here. Further I am also not that much
confident on that grammar subject]

'from whom learnt' is now added next - who is that teacher from whom this
aazhvaar learnt? From that 'thaara gaNap pOr viriththu uraiththa vem
naagaththu'- I learnt about you - oh lord - unnaith theriththu'.

That person who talked about in detail the war between different stars or
kOLgaL or grahangaL - means - the jyOthisha saasthram. The various 'grahams'
supporting each other or fighting each other are all described in the
'jyOthisha saasthram' as we know.  That is written first time by aadhi sEshan -
the snake bed of the lord. For that was also uttered by the lord as 4 vEdhams,
6 saasthrams - this one was received and penned down by aadhi sEshan, like
vEdhaas were received by brahma. From aadhi sEshan aazhvaar learnt - means
aazhvaar pays his tribute to the first guru of this saasthram. [meaning as
given by sri uththamoor swamy]

[of course another meaning for this adhiseshan's thaaraa gaNap pOr is also
given by others - as - that aahiseshan who protects the lord hisses to make
others afraid of and during that act his eyes are shining in anger and looks
like stars- so thaaragaNap pOr].

[If you want any other cross reference for paying tribute to the first guru who
wrote that literature - re: sri vishNu sahasranaamam - "vyaasam vasishta
naphthaaram sakthE pouthram --- paraasara aathmajam vandhE"- I bow to vyaasa
who is paraasaraa's son---]

Once a person knows a matter, he can not keep quiet. From aadhi sEshan aazhvaar
learnt - unnaith theriththu, either he has to tell others about it, or put it
on paper and publish it as a story so that everybody reads. [That is what is
the 'newspaper'. The reporter shares one thing known to him by writing a story
to share with everybody].

So aazhvaar also writes - says 'ezhudhi' - what is that he wrote - a story -
kadhai - what kadhai - see he himself answers that question - kaNNa is the
subject for that kadhai - my krishNa and his sportive leelaas. For any doubt
what he wrote or about whom he wrote - see

kadhaip poruLthaan kaNNan  thiruvayiRRinuLLa
udhaippaLavu pOdhu pOkkinRivadhaip poruLthaan
vaaintha guNaththup padaadhadhu adaiminO
aaindha guNaththaanadi - 32 naanmugan thiruvandhaadhi

He himself declares, that the subject of his story is kaNNan. See another
aazhvaar says krishNa's name itself is the subject for the story - perum poruL
- thiraNda poruL - the pith and substance of the story- is krishNa -

kadhaiyin perum poruLum kaNNaa, nin pErE
idhayam irundhavaiyE Eththil kadhaiyin
thiru mozhiyaai ninRa thirumaalE unnaip
parumozhiyaal kaaNap paNi 64 - iraNdaam thiruvandhaadhi

Ok. Written about kaNNaa. After writing? vaasiththu - read that story again and
again and enjoy the content of that story - that is what we are all doing now -
aazhvaar wrote longtime back - now we are 'vaasiththu' - um - not only once -
but many a times.

That 'um' indicates doing some thing else also - try to enjoy krishNa by
visualising him - again 'vaasiththu'+ um - this is a process of iteration -
doing repeatedly. What is the main purpose - pOkkinEn pOdhu - spent time.
Incidentally since story is about krishNa - enjoying the lord through his
story.

How it is known? 'kadhaiyin thiru mozhiyaai ninRavan thirumaalE' - those
letters or alphabets - that words forming the story - that language content -
that construction of words - that meaning - explicit one, another meaning
implied - all in that story - all are kaNNan - kadhaiyin thiru mozhi - thiru
maalE - kadhaiyin mozhi - thiruvum thirumaalum - just shift that thiru to the
side of thirumaal. Oh, what a taste - krishNa, krishNa.

Kettum - next step is hearing - if one reads that story of kishNa, naturally
when his tongue reads, the ears of his will listen - so kEttum. Alternately if
some body else is doing that vaasiththal, this person who wrote will hear - so
kEttum. For 'um' add as above.

Automatically when the tongue says and ears receives krishNa's story - the body
and mind naturally 'bend' towards that supreme lord krishNa - so vaNangi. That
vaNakkam - not once but repeatedly vaNangi - becomes the vazhipaadu - the
pooja. Then all these combined becomes the upaasana - poosiththu.

when each act is done naturally time flies so pOdhu poivittadhu - says pOkkinEn
pOdhu - spent time in all these - what is the result - unnaip parumozhiyaal
kaaNap paNi - this aazhvaar says - once this upaasana is done - that krishNa
has to appear in front - with sthoola sareeram - parumozhi - to just see in
front - kaana - that also he only can grant - so paNi - make it. as mazhisai
piraan puts - EzhEzh pirappu arukkum in next paasuram - no more births - that
root is cut.

since the thirumaalai paasuram has not been dealt, we will see more of time
management in next   post also.

[May be I am a bad manager of time, but krishNa consumes me along with time and
hence seek your pardon dear bhakthaas].

Dhasan

Vasudevan m.g.

Yahoo! Groups Links