You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2001

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00018 Feb 2001

Sri Padmavati sameta Srinivasa parabrahmane Namah.
Srimad Venkata Lakshmana Yativaraya namah.

your servant is of the opinion that the term "image" is the most appropriate.
Agama Sastras frequently use the word "bimbam" for Lord's divya vigraham.
However, the term image or bimbam should not be taken as mirror or virtual
image. It is His real form once it is properly consecrated. In case of
Thirumala and such places, He Himself is standing as a bimbam wihtout any
consecration, just like He enetered the wombs of Kausalya and devaki.

Dasanudasan
Vishnu

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:10:14
Narender Reddy wrote:

>In a recent issue of SriRangaSri Vol. I/022
>d/02/20/01,
>Sri Ramanjua Acharya Swamy from Australia correctly
>points out that use of the word "IDOL" is rather
>demeaning and insulting. My feeling is that there is
>no equalent term in English language. The best term to
>use is "Sri Vigraha." This was pointed out by Sri
>Prabhpada, and ISKON devotees always use the term Sri
>Vigraha. I am not an authority and am a very ignorant
>person, but the question is Why not use the proper
>sanskrit term?
>
>In the service of Lord Sriman Narayana and his
>devotees, I remain,
>
>Sincerely
>Narender P. Reddy
>reddynp@xxxx

Get your small business started at Lycos Small Business at
http://www.lycos.com/business/mail.html

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
srirangasri-subscribe@yahoogroups.com