You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00109 Feb 2003

Dear Sri Dileepan,

Whether it is due to the reason deduced by Muni Trayam or the conclusion
inferred by you, certain facts are to be faced and i am sure this does not
bode well for the future.

i) The Gurukula system is almost fading out and there is a severe shortage
of Vidyarthis opting for the "old & ancient education system",

ii) Culture is a different focus altogether, that cannot be so easily
submerged or replaced; in spite of all this "westernisation" the roots are
still very firm but culture is a shock as many Indians find out today, they
want the material comforts arising out of that is "foreign and English" but
yearn for the values of our ancient culture - a strange admixture that will
not happen,

iii) In our 'secular' society we need to strike a balance,

iv) how do we continue to reap the benefits of the modern e-age but still
retain the roots of our culture,

v) this is a dilemma faced by many ABCD's and others of the Indian Diaspora
to start with but this query is uppermost in the minds of every one of us as
the internet has erased all boundaries,

vi) we find the many youngsters employed in IT services' companies
practically living or imitating the life of Westerners (the current divorce
rates in these metros (in the forward communities) are alarming,

vii) we also find many abroad living the life of religiousity ((e.g.
yourself, Satagopan, Nadathur Mathavan, Rajaji, Rangarajan (in London)
etc.,)) and at the same time combining the life of modernity and affluence
derived solely out of your exteme hard work and brilliance in your chosen
professions,

This is a very very serious situation and i do not claim to know the
answers.

But I do know that ALL of us have to get together and take immediate steps
to revive the traditional Sanskrit education which to state the least is in
utter doldrums and has to be the strongest doses of Oxygen.

By a separate mail i will keep you advised of the steps that i have been
privileged to take under the Niyamanam of H.H. Srimad Andavan. This is
equivalent to the blooming of one flower and i am afraid that unless a
hundred such flowers bloom together the future for sustaining our Culture
and oue Values will be very bleak.

If that is the will the Lord then so be it.

Warmest regards.

RR.