You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00171 Feb 2003

Dear Members

Let me expand the question a little bit more... is it true in the
modern context, where an individuals profession is not inherited, the
Varnam is inherited?

I would like to present a couple of thoughts on some assumptions
people (at least many Brahmins I have seen) have about caste system
and Varnashrama system.

It was interesting to note the following observation in the posting by
Sri. Tenkasi Viswanathan (In the thread "Must Read...".

> The question of caste become centarl only when there are economic
issues.

Now, I might be quoting him slightly out of context. However, the
analysis stands. The underlying assumption here, to me, seems to be
that as long as people happy with their economic situation, as long as
they get fed every day, and have a shelter, they are are happy with
their profession, for, caste was nothing but the profession of the
individual.

I beg to differ. In my humble opinion, the problem with caste system
is not economic disparity, but social disparity it imposes and the
denial of liberty. For example, this assumption ignores the interest a
person may have in another profession, at which he/she may be more
adept. Thus it indirectly, through the validation of caste system
along with equitable economic distribution, impinges upon an
individual's liberty to choose that profession in which he/she is
really interested in and may excel in. This is directly contrary to
what Sri.Viswanathan has argued is (or should be) the case, as we will
see.

It is interesting to note that while I have heard of many glowing
portraits of saints who were 'became' Brahmins, nowhere have I seen a
portrait praising a Brahmin who 'became' a Vaishya... or a Shudra. To
me, what this says is that to be a Brahmin is considered inherently
superior. The roubling thing is that it has been generalized and
extended not only to people who by their sadhana, became enlightened,
but also to Brahmins who were Brahmins only because they were born
into a Brahmin family. Thus, it runs contrary to the notion of
"Different, yet equal" that Sri.Viswanathan has tried to propound
using Purusha Suktham.

Stated otherwise, the question is, if I am from a family of priests,
adn uncle took to business, and was hugely successful too, is he still
a Brahmin? Or does he automatically become a Vaishya? This question,
IMHO, forms the core of the discussion on caste system. Interestingly
to note that this is the precisely the question addressed in the
posting on "Who is a Brahmin?", where Prof.V.Rangarajan seems to opine
that my uncle is not a Brahmin.

I have been a member of SriRangaSri since its inception and Bhakthi
List for three years. In all these months, I have not seen any
composed and ordered discussion on Caste system and its future. Every
instance where it was brought up, it either got mired in personal
attacks, or got answered with an idealistic, even answers like
"nothing stops the Sudra on the road from becoming a Brahmin, just ask
him to be another Valmiki".

If Dharma is indeed a way of life, our social relations automatically
become a part of our spirituality. History has shown that it is the
spiritual leaders and thinkers who validated every important social
and religious reform in the past, and they had served their societies
well by doing so. I would like to humbly request that the learned
members of this group put their mind to the question and lead a
discussion.

Regards
Ramakrishnan

Home Page