You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jan 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00119 Jan 2004

Jan 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

This is a shrine that is extremely popular with hebbar iyengars, a subsect of
srivaishnavas who trace their roots to places in and around hassan.
Bindiganavile  (near Hassan) Sri Keshava Perumal Koil:

The shrine at Bindignavile is an ancient one dating back to centuries.This
place is refered to as Mayurapuri in the puranas. Brahma and his consort
Saraswathi frequently sought to worship the Lord Keshava at this place.
According to the legends, Sri Ramanujacharya had visited the shrine and offered
worship for three days.

The presiding Deities are Sri Channa Keshava Perumal who resides along with Sri
Sowmyanaayaki Thaayaar and are bestowing their blessings on all the devotees,.
Sri Vainatheya (Garuda, Periya Thiruvadi) resides in the adjoining sannidhi.
There is an idol of acharya ramanuja in the temple precincts.

It is situated on the Bangalore-Mangalore Highway (pass yediyur and at bellur
cross, make a left to go towards nagamangala from where you would take the road
to shravanabelagola and bindinganavile). It is at a distance of 86 miles(145
kms) from Bangalore. It is also close to the popular tourist place of
shravanabelagola where the monolith of gomateshwara stands towering at 56 ft..

There are no lodging facilities for visitors in the village which boasts of
bare public necessities like water, electricity,paved roads, schools and bus
stand. You can contact Mr.Seshadri of sri vainatheya bhaktha mandali for
lodging/boarding arrangements while in bindinganavile.

The temple architecture is typical dravidian and it follows Pancharathra Agama
discipline for worshpping the lord.. The brahma rathotsavam is held on maagha
(kannada month) shukla chaturdashi of  every year and is a strog crowd puller.
the events are spread over 10 days and the whole village comes alive during
this time,wearing a festive look.  Many buses and private van owners operate
special schedules to bindinganavile at this time  of the year and it is easy to
get there. It is said that the chariot with keshava perumal is pulled only
after the sighting of vainatheya  hovering around in the skies. A sumptuous and
tasty lunch is served to all the devotees.

The temple has been served by "mari" pronounced(murry) bhattar, the priest for
the last several decades.

Bindignavile Sri Vainatheya Bhaktha Mandali has been has been organizing daily
aradhanas, important festivals and annual Brahma rathothsava  at the
Bindignavile Shrine. It efficiently manages the crowds during rathotsavam.

The inner sanctum of the temple has undergone a substantial face lift over the
last decade with granite flooring, better illumination and security features to
the main sannidhis et al. the outer prakaram has received improvements too
,with roofing to provide welcome shelter from the searing blaze of the sun ,to
the devotees during rathotsavam. the flooring on the outer prakaram too, is
done well which is the site for the thadiyaaradhanai during the rathotsavam.
all this has been possible largely due to the generous donations of vainatheya
devotees in the United States and the prudent management of funds by the
vainatheya bhaktha mandali. Construction of a beautiful rajagopuram has been
one of the stellar achievements of the trust.  The 45th jeer of  Sri Ahobila
Mutt, Sri Azhagiya Singar, visited Bindignavile in 1993 and was higly
appreciative of the shrine and the service rendered by all the devotees,

As if to stand testimony to the powers of periya thiruvadi, almost all
households in bindinganavile can boast of a "garudachar" in the family.Some of
the popular Garudachars in the community have been B.K.Garudachar(contractor),
B.N Garudachar( ex DGP,Karnataka), Other stalwarts from bindinganavile include
B.S.Ranga( movie director), India's atomic energy expert Raja Ramanna is said
to have his origins in Bindinganavile as well.

Lord Vainatheya continues to bless his devotees far and near. If you happen to
be close to Bindinganavile at this time, do take the time and effort to
participate in the rathotsavam( "ther") on the 5th of february 2004 and receive
his blessings.

Dr.Padmashri