You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jun 2002

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00002 Jun 2002

Jun 2002 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

--- elayavalli <elayavalli@xxxx> wrote:
However, the British team that was part of the expedition
> has a different take:
>
> "I had a chat with some of my colleagues here in the Dept. of
> Geological Sciences and it is probably reasonable to assume that
> there has been very little vertical tectonic motion in this region
> [i.e. the coastal region around Mahabalipuram] during the past five
>
> thousand years or so. Therefore, the ominant process driving sea-
> level change will have been due to the melting of the Late
> Pleistocene ice sheets.

Sir,
This appears to be more hypothesis than theory. Geologists tell us
that submersion need not always be the result of tectonic movement.
Flooding can also be caused over several years through gradual but
relentless sea-erosion. (As experts now say is what is happening to
the Gangetic deltaic region of W.Bengal and parts of Bangladesh). Is
it not therefore possible to offer an alteranate hypothesis that
Mammallapuram may have been submerged due to sea-erosion rather than
through tectonic movemements caused by seismic agitation? And hence,
the date of the AzhwAr may have been much later/more recent than may
be otherwise inferred from the tectonic hypothesis? Anyway, it should
be interesting to find out what facts are unearthed by experts from
the new discovery of more submerged temples in the area. Let us all
wait and see.

Just a thought.

Regards,
dAsan,