You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jun 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00098 Jun 2003

Jun 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Bhagavathottamas,

Here are some clarifications which i could recollect when I asked my learned
grandfather questions similar to some of what Bhuvaragan has asked . I have
listed them in a pointwise fashion.

Sajjanapadapadma paramanuhu
lakshminarasimha dasan

Boovarahan S <boose@xxxx> wrote:

Namasthe !
Adiyen would like to know the following:

1.Why Lord Sri Yoga Nrusimhan is always seated on the back side of Sri
Sudharsana Bhagawan ?

Sudarshana bhagawan represents all the Lord's ayudha shaktis. In every
avatharam sudarshan also accompanies lord into his ayudhas and performs feats
that are not normally accomplished by those ayudhas. E.g. axe of parashurama
could separate the ocean into two, agneya astram of Lord rama could boil the
entire ocean and so on. These are called 'sudarshana anu pravesham'. In
Nrisimhavatharam, as Lord could not carry any ayudha, he took sudarshana in
himself, which could perform the devouring feat of the great Asura. As
sudarshana became part of Lords body in this avatharam sudarshanazhwan is
worshipped like that.

2. What is the significance of Thirumann & Srichoornam ? What is the
significance for the 12 places of application ? Why is it applied for The
Lord also ?

Thiruman kappu has a lot of significance. To be precise it signifies lords feet
& mahalakshmi in the centre. We apply this to indicate we are his servants
(seshibhavam). There is an order and a way in which this is to be applied to
all the 12 (13 rather) places in the body. Normally it comes from acharya after
samasrayanam. The places where they are applied are all important indriya
sthanas of our body covered by different forms of lord and indicates that every
aspect of our body is subservient to him.

Lord applying thiruman kappu has a different connotation. Lord in form of
archavatharam, is an avatharam with all the suddha satva guna in him. He has
come here on the request of devotees to be one among us. In all avatharams lord
here also is a worshipper of the lord like all of us. So to be one among us he
also adores thiruman kappu.

3. We do PariseshaNam for unsalted prasadam only . During the Sraaththa
days all the KARIYAMUDHUS are served first and then only Prasadham is
served. In that case how can we do PariseshaNam for salted items ?

Parisheshanam is always done without salted items. Be it any day. Normal people
partaking 'pithrushesham' on sradhdham day follow this. I am not right now
clear with respect to Brahmanartha karas. I need to get this clarified before
replying.

4. Normally we have to do SandhyAvandhanam in the morning before sunrise .
If one could not take bath before that , can one do that without taking bath
? Some scholars say that it is a must to take bath before doing morning
SandhyAvandhanam and one can offer KAALAATHEETHA PRAYASCHITHAARGYAM for
that. Some saythat since SUDHDHI manthras are there in PROKSHANAM AND PUNAR
PROKSHANM , it is not mandatory to take bath before doing morning
SandhyAvandhanam but one should offer the ARGYAM before sunrise.

"Suchirvapi ashuchirvaapi kaale sandhya samchareth". This means that giving
arghyam in time is the most important requirement for brahmins to ward off the
'mandeha' rakshasas attacking the 'surya bhagawan'. It has many connotations &
I wont go deeper here. If one is not in a position to take any form of bath
including 'manthra snanam' then also one needs to perform sandhyavandanam in
time.

5. Thiruvaaraadhanam is to be performed only if one takes bath in cold
water. What, if a person can not take bath in cold water or can not take
head bath, can do to worship the Lord ?

Surely cold water is not a requirement. In fact people living in cold places
have to invariably take hot water bath for body comfort. It is suggested that
same 'vennir kainkaryam' to be extended to Lord for his comfort. Many swamies
have taken lot of care of the Lord like this. Not hot water for self and cold
water for lord!. One can perform salagrama aradhanam with only 'kantha snanam'
under unavoidable circumstances. But head bath is needed surely for
'vigrahaaradhanam' where the niyamas are different.

DAsan

Ilayavilli S.Boovarahan