You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jun 2007

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00070 Jun 2007

Jun 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest all,

Let us continue to enjoy azhwAr?s verses in the fourth
ten on ThiruvEnkatam. A brilliant set of verses.

Today?s verse is the 7th one.

vaanaaLum maamathipOl veNkudaikkeezh mannavar_tham
kOnaaki veeRRirunthu koNdaadum selvaRiyEn
thEnaar_pooNY chOlaith thiruvENG kadamalaimEl
kaanaaRaayp paayum karuththudaiyE NnaavEnE

Like the moon that engulfs the land with its shining
luster, the king rules his kingdom with his royal
power [of umbrella- veNkoRRak kudai- in Tamil] I do
not aspire for such a celebrity birth of being a king
ruling the world, sitting in royal throne. All that I
want is to be the swift flowing river in the mountain
of ThiruvEnkatam wherein the fertile honey dripping
gardens is found in abundance in the banks.

AzhwAr in the last verse desired to be the mountain
segment thereby he can enjoy divya darshan of the Lord
as well as serve Bhaagawathaas. Suddenly he remembers
that the devotees may pay their obeisance to the Lord
from the ground (without actually climbing the
mountain) and the darshan of the mountain itself is
great. So, he would not have the bhaagyam of having
the devotee?s feet on the mountain segment. And hence
AzhwAr now asks for the river or water falls that flow
from the mountain top downwards. Thereby he is able to
have the sparsam of the Bhaagawathas and wash their
feet as well.

This kaattaaRu reminds me of the vibhava avathArams of
the Lord namely Rama Krishna avathArams which are also
referred to as the turbulent flowing waters
[kaattaaRu] from mountains or in the forests. These
waters do not flow forever. They would dry up after
sometime. Similarly these Vibhava avathArams were
enjoyed by those who were contemporaries. Today, it is
history and we can not enjoy Lord KrishNA as Gopis and
AkrUrar did or Rama as Ayodhya did. Thus this rUpam is
in the past like last year's river water, which is no
longer available to quench our thirst (dried up river
bed). Only archA roopams like Srirangan, Thirumalai
Srinivasan are available to us forever? And we see
Rama Krishna avathArams in them and they are not
different from Sreenivasan or Rangan.

Sri Muralidhar Ranaswamy shares: In the seventh
Pasuram, the Azhwar cries out "Of what use is it to be
an emperor walking under a royal umbrella, living in a
huge palace flaunting his wealth and hearing the
praise of sycophants in the court? Are not all these
marks of royalty useless tinsel if they cannot help in
serving the Lord? Would it not be beautiful if I can
become a hill stream at Venkatachalam which  provides
water used in performing Tirumanjanam for
Lord Srinivasa?

AzhwAr ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo narayana