You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Nov 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00074 Nov 2005

Srimathe Ranga Ramanuja Maha Desikaya namaha:

Dear Bhagavathas,

This is the concluding part of the posting on Srirangam Srimath Andavan
Ashramam Acharyas' thanian

Kidambi AppullAr (14)

Thanian :

Yasmaath asmabirethath yathipathi kathitha prakthana prakriyothyath,

karma bramhavamarsa prabhava bahupalam sarthamagrahi sasthram,

tham vishvakbetha vidyasthi pathavishayasstheya bhootham  prabhutham

vandhe  aathreya ramanuja gurumanagam vathiamsambuvaaham.

Meaning: Ancient systems are Vedic treatises which contain karma kandA and
brahma kandA discussions, giving various purushArthAs and their meaning. This
sAstra, as told by Ramanuja, was received traditionally by Swamy AtrEya
Ramanujar (Appullar) and from him it was received by us. Swamy AtrEeya
Ramanujar, a great and blemish less preceptor, is the storehouse of different
of ways of meditation (32 brahma vidyas and nyAsa vidyas, their content, as
described in Brahma mimaamsA). He is like water bearing clouds for swan like
debaters. Let me prostrate such a great preceptor Sri AtrEya RamanujA.

(courtesy: Dr. P. Ramanujam  Bangalore)

(Swans are legendarily afraid of dark clouds ? vAdis are debaters belonging to
the other school of thoughts & are artistically referred here as HamsAs-and
Appullar is referred here as ambuvAhar-rain bearing clouds)

Kidambi RangarAjAchar (13)

Thanian:

RaamAnujArya Thanayam Ramaniya Vesham Aatreyam Aatma Guna Poornam Anarga Seelam

Sri RangarAjamiva Tadh YathAvatheernam Sri RangarAja Guru varyam Aham Prapadhye

Meaning: I surrender at the feet of AthrEya RangarAcharya, who is verily Lord
Rangaraaja reincarnated as the son of Raamaanuja Guru, and  with a pleasing
personality and like his father, was full of Aatmaguna, and righteousness

Kidambi Ramanuja Pillan (12)

Thanian:

Aatreya GotrAmbadhi Poorna Chandram AachAra Yukthaam Aatma Gunopapannam
NathArthi Hridh Desika Ratna Soonum RaamAnujArya Gurum AasrayAmaha

Meaning: Let us seek refuge at AthrEya Ramanuja pillan, son of
pranatharthiharacharyA, who is luminous like the poorna chandran, strict in
Aachara Anushtanam and who is ornate with benign qualities.

Kidambi Achan - Madappalli Aachaan (11)

Thanian:

Aatreya Gotra Sambhootham Aasraye Aasritha Vatsalam

Yateendra MahA Desikam PranathArthi Haram Gurum

Meaning: I take asylum at the feet of PranathAarthi Hara, a great master, who
belonged to Aatreya Gotram and who was kind hearted to those who take refuge at
him

Sri RAMANUJAR (10)

Thanian:

PranAmam Lakshmana Muni: Prathi GrihnAthu mAmakam

PrasAdhayathi yat Sookthi: Svadheena PathikAm Sruthim

Meaning: I beseech Sri Ramanuja (Lakshmana Muni) whose Srisookthis adorn the
Sruthi and the Upanishads to whom The Lord remain Loyal, to kindly accept my
Prostrations.

Mahapoornar (9)

Thanian:

DayAnignam Yatheendrasya Desikam Poornam AasrayE
Yena Viswasrujo  VishnOr apooryatha Manorathah |

Meaning: I take refuge at PoornA (Mahapoornar-PeriaNambi), Ramanuja?s Guru, who
is full of mercy and soft heartedness and by whom the desire of Vishnu, the
Lord of the world  was accomplished..

Sri YAmunAcharyar ? AlavandAr (8)

Thanian:

VighAhe YAmunam Theertham SAdhu BrindAvanE Stitham
NirasthaJih Magha SparsE Yatra Krishna: KrithAdhara:

Meaning: I immerse myself in Holy waters of Yamuna (immerse in works of
AlavandAr) which protects BrindAvanam, (which protects holy people) who got rid
of JihMagas (Kalinga snake, those wicket people who misintepretted Vedas) In
which Lord Krishna was most delighted..

Manakkal Nambi - Rama Misrar (7)

Thanian :

Anujjitha Kshamaa Yogam Apunya Jana Bhaadakam
Asprushta Madha Raagam Thum Raamam Turyam Upaasmahe

Meaning: We meditate on Rama (ManakkAl Nambi) the fourth Rama  in order, (after
parasuramar, Dasaratharamar, and Balaramar) who has not abandoned forbearance,
(as different from parasuramar) one who has not harmed the rAkshasAs( as
different from dasaratha raman) unblemished by love for madas (in contrast to
Balarama)

Uyyakkondar - Pundarikakshar ?(6)

Thanian :

NamasyAm AravindAksham NAtha BhAve Vyavasthitham
Suddha Satva Mayam Soureh AvatAram Iva Aparam

Meaning: I  prostrate  AravindAkshar (Uyyakkondar) who completely followed
thiru Ullam of Naathamuni who is the  master of sarva  lokas, and  who is full
of the quality ?Sathva gunAs?, and who is re incarnation of lord Souri (Lord
Krishna)..

Sriman Naathamunigal (5)

Thanian:

nAthEna muninA tEna bhavEyam nathavAnaham
yasya naigamikam tattvam hasthAmalakathAm gatham

Meaning: I have as my mentor, Naathamuni of our SampradhAyam, to whom the
profound and difficult meaning of the VedAs was like a nellikkani fruit in the
hand

NammAlwar (4)

Thanian:

Yasya SAraswatham Srotho Vakula Modha Vaasitham
SruteenAm VisramAya Alam SatArim Thum UpAsmahe

Meaning: We meditate on Satari (Nammalwar) for having blessed us with such
glorious compositions which are like flood of nectar with fragrance of vakula
flowers and do the job of VedAs in giving benefit to everyone, well enough for
the veDas to take rest.

Sri VishvaksEnar (3)

Thanian:

Vandhe Vaikunta SenAnyam Devam Sootravthee Sakham
Yad Vetra Sikhara SpandhE Viswam Yetad Vyavasthitham

Meaning: Staying in Vaikunta, VishvaksenAr, the husband of Suthravathi,
controls the duties of all. He is the celestial Commander-in-Chief of the Lord.
He wields a cane in his hand.   The entire world gets controlled by the tip of
the cane in his hand.  I Pay My salutations to VishvaksenA.

Sri Periya Piraatti (2)

Thanian:

Saha Dharma Chareem Soure Sammantritha Jagad HithAm
Anugraha Mayeem Vandhe Nityam AgjnAna NigrahAm

Meaning: I bow to Lakshmi, the co performer of the duties of Lord Vishnu, whose
only concern is welfare of the world, who is personification of compassion, who
does not know punishing the sinners.

Sriman Narayanan (1)

Thanian:

KamapyAadhyam Gurum Vandhe KamalA Griha Medhinam
PravakthAs ChandasAm VakthA Pancha RAtrasya Yaha Swayam

Meaning:  I salute the most ancient of Preceptors, who is consort of Kamala and
who propagated the Vedas in the beginning and who is himself the author of
PancharAtra SastrAs.

Srimath Andavan Thiruvadi,
dasan
P.Sreenivasan( Besant Nagar,Chennai)