You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Apr 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00144 Apr 2004

Apr 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrimatE Raamaanujaaya Namaha //
SrimatE Nigamaanta Mahaa Desikaaya Namaha //
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya/
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya//
KAvEri VardhathAm kAlE, kAlE varshathu vAsava: /
SrI RanganAthO jayathu Sri Ranga Sri cha VardhathAm//
SRI RANGA SRI VOL.05 / ISSUE # 17 dated 27th April 2004
IN THIS ISSUE:
REPORT ON MY VISIT TO INDIA
   REPORT ON MY VISIT TO INDIA FOR THE RELEASE FUNCTION OF BOOK ENTITLED
?HINDUISM REDISCOVERED?

My trip to India during March- April 2004 solely in connection with the
release of my book was hectic sometimes and leisurely at others. On the
whole, it was once again a pleasant and unforgettable experience, as you
will see in the following write up.

I left Cleveland, Ohio on 2nd March and reached Singapore on 4th morning for
a brief stop over. Sri Madhava Kannan and Sri Govindarajan (members of SRS)
received me at the Changi airport. As it was a long hail from Cleveland-
JFK-Frankfurt etc, I excused myself and promised to meet Singapore
Bhaagavatas on my return trip from Chennai, when I would be comparatively
fresh.

PROOF CORRECTION
Leaving Singapore on 4th night, I arrived in Chennai on 5th morning. That
very night, I proceeded to Bangalore where some of our members had formed a
team to do the preliminary proof corrections. I had a marathon session for
over 5 days to complete the final proof and give the ?strike? order. Sri
Sathyanarayana, Printer and his assistant Smt. Meera Raghuram?s enthusiastic
cooperation in incorporating the corrections on the spot was indeed amazing.

VISIT TO SRI VENUGOPALASWAMI TEMPLE, MALLESWARAM
On 8th March, I visited Sri Venugopla Swami temple at Malleswaram and met
with Sri Achutaraman Rangachari, Sri Kambam Deepak and Smt. Padmini
Ranganathan (all SRS members) and also Sri Ananthanarasimhachariar (Son of
Dr. N.S.Anatharangachariar Swami) who coordinated the project from beginning
to end.

VIGJNAPANAM TO HIS HOLINESS
My requests to asmad Acharyan to release the book on his Tirunakshatram day
were hitherto only through telephone and Kainkaryaparas. It was only proper
that I should personally submit my vigjnaapanam. Hence, I made a trip to
Srirangam on 12th March and met with H.H on 13th. He was mighty happy and
readily consented to do so.

SAMPLE COPY ARRIVED!
When I returned to Chennai on 14th March evening, I was agreeably surprised
to receive the first copy of the book through courier. Like a mother anxious
to see in final shape her baby she had just given birth to, I was naturally
anxious to see how my book would look like in its final shape. My joy knew
no bounds when I ogled the nearly 1000 page book dressed up in elegant get
up, thanks to the printers.

VISIT TO LOCAL TEMPLES IN TRIPLICANE AND MYLAPORE
On 15th March, I took my pet to the Sannidhis of Sri Parthasarathi PerumaaL,
Triplicane, and Anjaneyar at Luz (Tanni Turai Market) and Bank Anjaneyar,
Alwarpet and placed at their feet for their blessings.

ENFORCED IDLENESS!
Between 16th and 24th March, there was a comparative lull when I took
complete rest lest I should fall sick at the time of the release function.
But, the time was utilized for inviting all friends and Bhaagavatas to
attend the function. Also, I tried to browse mails. It was a harrowing
experience. Switching from one screen to another took hours on end with the
hourglass getting frozen interminably. It was so frustrating that I was
forced to take ?enforced rest? that seemed, in a sense, welcome!

CONSIGNMENT ARRIVED AT LAST!
On 24th March, I left for Srirangam to be on time to receive the consignment
of books brought by the printers from Bangalore. You can imagine the fast
beating pulse in anxious anticipation of the books till they arrived
actually late in the evening, with the release function scheduled the next
morning!

26TH MARCH 2004 (FRIDAY) PANGUNI ROHINI
The day had arrived; the day we were looking forward with bated breath; the
day of the 83rd Tirunakshatram of the Senior most YathisreshTa, Srimad
ANDavan, Sri ParavaakkOTTai GOpala Mahaa Desikan of Sri Poundarikapuram
Swami Asramam, Sri Rangam. The Asramam premises had been reverberating with
Veda, Divya Prabhanda gOshams from the previous day itself and an aura of
festivities had already enveloped the atmosphere. Erudite expositions in the
form of upanyaasams by eminent scholars enlightened the hearts and souls of
Bhaagavatas who had arrived in droves from the wee hours of morning.

ACHARYAS GALORE!
It was our bhaghyam that His Holiness Sri Rangapriya Mahaa Desikan of
AshTaanga yOga Vigjnaana Mandiram, Bangalore graced the occasion as the
Chief Guest. Other Acharyas who graced the occasion and made it so special
included inter alia Sri V.N. VenkaTanathan Swami and Sri A.N.C Swami
(Ex-Principal, SIT, Trichy) who acted as ?masters of ceremonies?, Sri V.N.
Vedanta Desikan Swami, Sri K. Devanathan Swami (Editor of bilingual
bi-monthly  ?Nrisimhapriya? from Hyderabad, Sri Srivatsankachariar Swami
(who recently retired from the French Indological Institute, Pondicherry)
who came specifically for the purpose despite his disability he suffered in
a car accident a while ago, Sri Anatha Narasimhachariar Swami and Anantha
Rangachariar Swami (Srikaryams of asmad Acharyan and H.H. Rangapriya Yathi
respectively), Sri Srinivasa Iyengar, (Organizer, Sri Ramanuja Asramam,
Sriperumpudur, Mannargudi Sri Rajagopala Iyengar Swami and our own
K.G.K.Anand Karalapakkam Swami (both BAC members from West Mambalam).

REPRESENTATIVES FROM THE USA
Sri Muralidhar Rangaswamy of Boston and Sri Nachu Anbil from Atlanta made a
special trip for specifically attending the functions.

REPRESENTATIVES FROM KUWAIT
Sri I.V.K.Chari Swamin and Sri K.C. Narasimhan Swami representing the
Publishers ?The Tiruvenkatam group, Kuwait? came all the way from Kuwait to
participate in the function.

OTHER SRS MEMBERS
Many of the members like Sri Sadagopan Iyengar Swami (Srikaryam Swami of
SDDS and SRS), Sri Anathanarasimhan Swami (S/o Dr. NSA Swami), Sri
Sathyanarayana, Printer and his family, Sri Sudarsan, Sri Diwakar Kannan?all
from Bangalore, Sri Shreyas Sarangan from T.Nagar, Chennai besides numerous
other Bhaagavatas like Sri Govindarajan Swami, Advocate, Srirangam, my own
family members from Delhi, Tillaisthanam and Bangalore as also a large
number of Sishyas, Abhimanis and Kainkaryaparas of asmad Acharyan and my
well wishers gathered to make the function a grand success.

CERTIFICATE OF PARTICIPATION
A Certificate of participation and a beautiful photo of TiruvnekaTamudaiyaan
(Utsavar) on Sesha Vaahanam were presented to all those who helped with
outstanding contributions for the successful publication of the book.

TADHEEYA ARADHANAM
It was my Bhaghyam to host a Tadheeya Araadhanam for over 450 attendees on
the day.

BOOKS RELEASED
Besides "HInduism Rediscovered", some more books were released on the
occasion including Asramam publication of ?Sri Bhagavad Dhyana SOpaanam? of
Swami Desika with lucid commentary of Anbil A.V. Gopalachar Swami, and a
book in English entitled ?Divine Sovereignty and our freedom? by Neduntheru
Sri S. Kannan Swami.

BLESSINGS OF ACHARYAS
Asmad Acharyan, H.H.Rangapriya YathigaL, Sri Srivatsankachariar Swami and
ANC Swami took about 20 minutes each paying glorious tributes to aDiyEn and
my book ?Hinduism Rediscovered?. I could not believe my ears when I heard
them speak in such glowing terms, all the while thinking they were talking
about some one else only to be reminded every time they mentioned my name
specifically. Among others, they compared ?Discovery of India? by Jawaharlal
Nehru and said what Nehru had omitted, this book has done more than justice
and it is an Encyclopedia on Hinduism for the beginner as well as the
Scholarly.

I believe that it is out of abundant love and consideration for my infantile
efforts that they resorted to hyperbole. I was constantly praying to Divya
Dhampatis to make me deserve their encomium.

I honestly believe that the entire credit goes to my Acharyas especially
asmad Acharyan and Srimad Azhagiya singhar at whose feet I learned our
scriptures, and with whose kripa alone I will, in due course, be able to
live up to their words.

NOTE: You can read the Report on the functions by Sri Diwakar Kannan at
message 3869 d/ 03/30/04 and by Sri Sadagopan Iyengar at message # 3870 d/
03/30/04 in the SRS archives

TRIP TO TIRUMALAI
My trip to Tirumalai ?Tirupati on 1st and 2nd April is unforgettable. Sri K.
Devanathan Swami had arranged for my stay at Ahobila Matam guest house and
for Netra Darsanam on Thursday, the 1st April and Saatumurai Sevai on Friday
the 2nd.April.

NETRA SEVA
On Thursday, April 1, as I was standing in the line, suddenly a volunteer
appeared and beckoned me. He literally pushed me through the milling crowd
and took me through a short cut route up to the Sanctum Sanctorum where I
had uninterrupted Netra Darsanam for a good  10 minutes at close quarters.
And, Lo and behold! After this, the volunteer promptly disappeared!

SAATTRUMURAI SEVA
On 2nd April, the Saatrumurai Seva was even more memorable. H.H. Jeeyar
Swami of the Tirumalai Koil took me and a few others via the Hundi side,
positioned me at the prime location in the immediate presence of the Lord.
Another YathisreshTa was standing on the other side at the prime location
and facing me.

Who do you think it was?

FACE TO FACE WITH H.H. TRIDANDI CHINNA JEEYAR
He was none other than H.H.Tridandi Chinna Jeeyar Swami. Thins was the first
time we have met face to face, though we have heard about each other. The
Koil Jeeyar introduced me to him saying that a couple of years ago, I had
brought my entire family to Tirumalai for performing Upanayanam of my
grandson, Chi. Pradhyumnan, that he was so pleased to learn that a kid born
and brought up in America insisted on having his Upanayanam in India and
that too in Tirumalai that he made a special trip from down the hills to
arrange for the Saattrumurai Seva for the boy. Tridandi Jeeyar Swami, in
turn, introduced me to Koil Jeeyar and referred to the Kainkaryams rendered
by SDDS and the Electronic journal Sri Ranga Sri which had a phenomenal
growth in a bewilderingly short time. Koil Jeeyar remarked that he knew
about my activities in India and he was glad to hear about those in the USA.

TRIDANDI JEEYAR?S GESTURE
Tridandi Jeeyar Swami invited me to his Matam. When I went there, he had
arranged for a meeting with the Press representatives. He took time to spare
a few minutes in the midst of the tight schedule. I was pleasantly surprised
to receive a gift of pooja Saamakriya kit with the vigraham of Chakravarti
Tirumagan consecrated at the recently celebrated Sri Rama navami and an
envelope containing Rs.2000/= as Sambhavanai for me! And, he extended a
personal invitation to me to attend BrahmOtsavam at Atlanta temple at the
end of May when he would be present there.

PANGUNI UTHRAM SERTHI SEVA AT SRIRANGAM
ON 4th April, I made a trip again to Srirangam to have Serthi Seva of Divya
Dhampatis on Panguni Uthram day and also to bring to Chennai the truck load
of books kept at the Poundarikapuram Swami Asramam.

MEETING WITH HIS HOLINESS AZHAGIYA SINGHAR
H.H. Azhagiya Singhar had earlier planned to be present at the function.
But, on the morning of the function, he had sent word to be specifically
conveyed to me that he was too tired to come all the way from his camp at
Pullamboothamgudi. Luckily, H.H. arrived at the Ahobila Matam premises at
East Chitra Street on 4th April. I had the Bhaghyam of offering my obeisance
as well as a copy of the book and my Sambhaavanai there. He was very much
pleased and blessed me with mantraakshadai.

MEETING WITH SRIRANGAM SRIMAD ANDAVAN AT CHENNAI
On 5th April, I met with H.H and offered my obeisance, a copy of the book
and my Sambaavanai at the Asramam premises at Desika Road, Mylapore and
received his blessings. Here, I met with Sri R.Rajagopalan Swami (Eyetex)
who is also a member of our BAC.

RELEASE OF DESIKA SEVA DIARY
On 6th April, I had the unique honor of receiving the first copy of Desika
Seva diary for TaaraNa year released on the occasion of the Tirunakshatram
of Seva Swami. Sri M.K. Srinivasan Swami, President of Sri Vedanta Desika
Research Centre (also a member of our BAC) presented the copy. I met with
another member of BAC viz, Sri UruppaTTur D. Soundararajan Swami (Hayagriva
Vidya PeeTam) who is now settled at Cuddalore.

VISIT TO THE PARAKALA MATAM SITE AT PELATHOPE
On April 11th, Sri T.C.Shrinivasan Swami (Editor, ?Sri Hayagriva Priya?
journal (and member of our BAC), took me to inspect the new Parakaala Matam
premises under construction at Pelathope, Mylapore.

VISIT TO NRISIMHAPRIYA TRUST OFFICE
I paid a visit to the Trust office, met with Perukkaranai
Chakravarthyachariar Swami (BAC member) and Dr. M Narasimhachariar Swami
(Editor, English Nrisimhapriya) and Smt Lakshmi Devnath Associate Editor
there, and had fruitful discussions.

TAARANA VARUSHP PIRAPPU: VISIT TO TIRUVALLUR
On 13th April, the New Year?s Day, I had special darsanam of Vaidya
Veeraraghava PerumaaL at TiruvaLLur, where I met with my old colleague in
office and presently agent of the temple, Sri Pillapakkam Parthasarathi
Iyengar Swami.

VISIT TO THOOPPUL AND KANCHIPURAM
On 14th April, Sravanam day, I visited Thooppul, Kanchi and Tiru vaheendra
puram. As I entered Thooppul, Swami Desika and Deepa prakaasap PerumaaL with
Ubhaya nachimaar were getting ready for SravaNa Tirumanjanam. After the
Tirumanjanam was over and the deities were in camera for alamkaaram, I took
a short break, rushed to Hastigiri Sri Varadarajar Sannidhi and Perundevi
Thaayaar Sannidhi at Kanchipuram and had a very good darsan. As I returned
to Thooppul, I was right in time for Saatrumurai and Prasaadam.

VISIT TO TIRUVAHEENDRAPURAM
>From there, I proceeded to Tiruvaheendrapuram and had good Darsanam of Sri
Devanyaka PerumaaL, Swami Desikan and Sri Hayagriva perumaaL (on top of the
Oushadagiri) and returned to Chennai around midnight.

RETURN VISIT TO SINGAPORE
On 17th instant, I left Chennai for USA via Singapore where a grand
gathering of Bhaagavatas had assembled at Sri Madhava Kannan?s home. An
interesting question and answer session lasting about 2 hours kept us
engaged. I was amzed at the depth of knowledge, enthusiasm and dedication of
Singapore Bhaagavatas.

You can read about the discussions in Sri Mukundan?s posting (Vide message #
3917 d/04/24/04 and in Sri Madhava Kannan at message #3930 d/ 04/26/04) in
SRS archives.

LANDED AT PHILADELPHIA AT LAST!
And, I landed at Philadelphia on 19th instant to stay with my son and his
family for sometime.
Thus, ended a hectic but fulfilling trip to India.
Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy

Premium!

Yahoo! Groups Links