You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Dec 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00204 Dec 2005

Dec 2005 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrimatE Raamaanujaaya Namaha //
SrimatE Nigamaanta Mahaa Desikaaya Namaha //
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya/
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya//
KAvEri VardhathAm kAlE, kAlE varshathu vAsava: /
SrI RanganAthO jayathu Sri Ranga Sri cha VardhathAm//
SRI RANGA SRI VOL.07 / ISSUE # 20 dated 29th December 2005
IN THIS ISSUE:
1. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 14:
UNGKAL PUZHAIKKATAITH
(ANBIL RAMASWAMY)
2. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 14:
UNGKAL PUZHAIKKATAITH
ENGLISH VERSE TRANSLATION
(MS. SHOBA RAMASWAMY)
ISSUES RELEASED
So far, 196 Regular issues of SRS have been released apart from Special
Issues:
27 Issues of Vol. 1
15 Issues of Vol. 2
42 Issues of Vol. 3
35 Issues of Vol. 4
28 Issues of Vol. 5
30 Issues of Vol. 6 and
19 Issues of Vol. 7
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 14:
UNGKAL PUZHAIKKATAITH
(ANBIL RAMASWAMY)
Tiruppavai 14
uNGkaL puzhaikkataith

uNGkaL puzhaikkataith thOttaththu vaaviyuL *
ceNGkazhunIr vaay nekizhn^thu aampal vaay kUmpina kaaN *
ceNGkal potikkUrai veNpal thavaththavar *
thaNGkaL thirukkOyil caNGkituvaan pOthan^thaar *
eNGkaLai munnam ezhuppuvaan vaaypEcum *
naNGkaay ezhun^thiraay naaNaathaay naavutaiyaay *
caNGkOtu cakkaram En^thum thatakkaiyan *
paNGkayak kaNNaanaip paatu ElOr empaavaay.
?       This Paasuram is said to be a ?wake up call? to a gOpi who is like
TruppaaN Azhwar. When asked to climb and sit on the shoulders of
LOka-saarang-muni, as commanded by Lord Ranganatha, he did not do so out of
ego but obeyed saying ?aDiyaarkku ennai aaTpaduthia vimalan?.
?       This is said to be addressed to a gOpi who is like ?Sirya TiruvaDi?
known
for his ?Silver tongued oratory? (sollin selvan)
uNGkaL puzhaikkataith thOttaththu vaaviyuL ceN GkazhunIr vaay nekizhn^thu
aampal vaay kUmpina:

In the garden pond of your own backyard the mouth/petals of red lilies have
blossomed and   the mouth/petals of water lilies have closed.
?       Anticipating her disbelief saying that because your eyes blossomed when
you came, you think that the red lilies have opened up, they proceed to
respond by saying ?No. We actually saw this not elsewhere but in your very
own garden pond.
?       In SvapadEsam:
Veedu: = Moksham;
puzhakkaDai = Samsaaram;
thOTTam = tree;
Vaavi = Hridayam (heart)
kaaN:  See!  See for yourself!

ceNGkal poti kkUrai veNpal  thavaththavar:
?       Saffron robed ascetics with white teeth brushed with white ashes
?        ?Koorai? is robe, ochre robe. The ascetics wearing ochre robes

Thavaththavar:
ascetics, those doing Tapas

Who is a Tapasvi or Sannyaasi?
?       ?Kshamaaroopam tapasvinaam? is a great saying meaning that a Sannyaasi
is
not supposed to get angry. Patience is the hallmark of a true Sannyaasi.
?       Story of even a thief who did not get angry on some occasion:
A thief caught red handed hid behind a bush. The owner pretending to brush
teeth spat the spittle water right on the face of the thief. Out of fear,
the thief did not stir. But, when the owner?s wife chided him for repeatedly
doing this crazy spitting exercise, he spat at her but once. She got upset
and demanded an explanation. He replied  ?This thief has not uttered a
single word all the while but you are making a big deal about spitting at
you just for once?. The wife went round and called all the neighbors and
they caught hold of the thief!
?       But, a Sannyaasi should never ever get angry.

thaNGkaL thiru  kkOyil caNGkituvaan pOthan^thaar:
are going to their sacred temples to blow their conches:
?       ?Sangu? means both Conch and Key
?       Even those who are known to be of TaamasaguNa have left for commencing
their prayers in their temples says BhaTTar
?       Embaar and Tirumalai Nambi say that Andal being a Paramaikanti would
not
have mentioned about Taamasa Sannyaasis. She must have meant only
SrivaishNava Sannyaasis who are governed by Sattva guNa.
?       ?Thiru? is Mahaalakshmi. How can temples of Taamasa people be called
TirukkOvil? The answer is that ?IN THEIR VIEW?,  it is TirukkOvil in the
sense ?Thiru? also means ?beautiful?
?       When PraNavam contains ?a? denoting PerumaaL, ?u? denoting ?PiraaTTi?
and
?ma? denoting Jeevan as the sEsha of PerumaaL and Thaayaar, how come others
outside the pale of Sri VaishNavam prefix ?PraNavam? to the names of the
demigods whom they worship?

Sri Anantanarasimhachar, Srikaryam Swami of His Holiness Srimad Andavan,
Poundarikapuram Swami Asramam, once mentioned jocularly ?They have mentioned
PraNavam first. This is a tacit acceptance of their Seshatvam to Bhagavaan.
Why should we bother about whatever names they add after that?? He explained
?IN THEIR VIEW, they feel it appropriate to prefix PraNavam. So, be it?

eNGkaLai munnam ezhuppuvaan vaay pEcum:
You boasted through your own mouth that you would wake us up first
?       ?Vaai pesum?- The sleeping gOpi explains: ?Because, I promised to wake
you
up, I did not sleep throughout the night and felt sleepy only in the
morning?
?       For this the gOpis say ?You say one thing but do differently? Uthama
adhikaaris (Noble ones) do not act like this. All your promises are just
empty words and you never seem to have meant them?

naNGkaay ezhun^thiraay:
Hey girl Wake up!
?       Uthama purushan is ?Nambi?; Uthama stree is ?nangai?
?       They seem to tell her that the period for ?upaadaanam? was over and the
time for ?Ijya? had arrived?.

?       What is Upaadaanam and what is Ijyai?
A day is divided into 5 periods called ?Panchkaala Prakriyai? dividing the
time from Sunrise to the time of Sunset lasting, approximately 2 to 2 ½
hours each from Sunrise.
1.      ?Abhigamanam?- The first period allotted for praying to the Lord that
the
day?s activities should go on smoothly.
2.      ?Upaadaanam? is the second period of the day reserved for getting ready
the articles for use during Tiruvaradhanam.
3.      The third period is ?Ijyai?, the time of the actual Tiruvaradhanam.
4.      ?Svaadhyaaya? is the fourth period reserved for study of scriptures
5.      ?Yoga? is the last period for mediation and concentration on the Lord.
?       Even Sraadham to Pitrus should be done only at noon.
?       What we see, however, is that either due to other preoccupations of the
priests and / or the necessities of having to attend the workplace on time
(usually 8.00am or 9.00am), Karta is forced to do well before 8.00am.or
9.00am.

Do not Kartas take a day off for visiting amusement parks or some such
social obligations like attending ?parties??

Similarly, they should take a day off, if necessary, and insist on the
priest to officiate around noon. After all, the word ?Sraddham? itself means
?that which is done with ?Shradda? (attention to a dutiful obligation)?. Of
course, there may be practical difficulties in a foreign land where priests
may not be available for observing the ceremony at the ?Right? time! But,
there are alternate ways, if only one cares to take recourse to! Every
effort should be made to keep up this schedule unless it is impossible to do
so.

NaaNaathaay:
Shameless one!
?       ?naaN? means ?ahamkaaram? and ?mamakaaram? (i.e), the feeling of
?I? ness and ?Mine-ness?.
?       In Svapadesam,  a true Achaarya will never have the feeling of this ?I?
ness and ?Mine ness?

Naavutaiyaay:
Talkative girl
?       Even when you are harsh, your words are so sweet that we enjoy the same.
?       In Svapadesam, everybody has tongue but it is Acharyas who can be said
have tongue really because they only use the faculty for the purpose for
which tongue has been granted to us (i.e) constantly praising the Lord.
?       Since the sleeping gOpi did not refute what they said earlier, they
characterize her as having ?double tongued?- saying one thing at a time and
saying another at another time!
?       You seem to specialize in empty talk, not in following it up with
appropriate deed.

caNGkOtu cakkaram En^thum thata kkaiyan: the
Wide armed Lord who bears the Conch and wheel (disc)
We know that the Lord wields His Conch, disc etc always and is known as
?Sanga Chakra Gadaathy Aayuda Dhaaraka? and ?Sarva PraharaNaayudah?.
1.      When He was born to Devaki, He bore them even at birth.
2.      When He faced Bheeshma, He took up these weapons even after taking a
vow
not to use them.
3.      When He converted day into night to beguile Jayadrata, He used His
Chakra.
4.      When He showed His Viswaroopa to Arjuna and to Brahma.
5.      When He vanquished the imposter PoundravaasudEva.
6.      When He protected the fetus of Parikshit, He used His Chakra.
7.      When Ambareesha was tested by Durvaasa

paNGkayak kaNNaanaip:
who has eyes like Lotus
Whatever role He took in His various Avataaras, He could not conceal the
beauty of His lotus eyes. His eyes are so captivating that they are praised
by His devotees and even by his sworn enemies.
?       AnjanEya while describing Sri Rama to Sri Sita in AshOka Vana made
special
references to His enchanting eyes
?       Surpanaka even while complaining to RavaNa about her humiliation at the
hands of Rama, was so enthralled as to mention the magnetic charm of His
eyes.
?       Do you know why Sri Rama cut the ears and nose of Surpanaka?
Even after the humiliation, she came back to Sri Rama and begged Him to
marry her. When asked why she came back, she replied-
?I know why you cut my nose and ears. It is because I am so beautiful that
when you marry me, it is quite likely that someone might wish to attain me.
Since you have already lost one wife, you would not like to lose me also.
You probably thought that by disfiguring me, you could dissuade others from
wanting me. That is why you did this to me. See! Inspite of this, I have not
lost my charm that is now enough to attract you and at the same time enough
to dissuade others. Now, you can freely go about your wish to marry me?
paatu:
(we will) sing about (Him).
To Continue
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 14:
UNGKAL PUZHAIKKATAITH
ENGLISH VERSE TRANSLATION
(MS. SHOBA RAMASWAMY)