You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jan 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00212 Jan 2006

Jan 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrimatE Raamaanujaaya Namaha //
SrimatE Nigamaanta Mahaa Desikaaya Namaha //
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya/
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya//
KAvEri VardhathAm kAlE, kAlE varshathu vAsava: /
SrI RanganAthO jayathu Sri Ranga Sri cha VardhathAm//
SRI RANGA SRI VOL.07 / ISSUE # 28 dated 6th January 2006
IN THIS ISSUE:
1. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 22
ANGAN MAA NYAALATHTHU
(ANBIL RAMASWAMY)
2. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 22
ANGAN MAA NYAALATHTHU
ENGLISH VERSE TRANSLATION
(MS. SHOBA RAMASWAMY)
ISSUES RELEASED
So far, 204 Regular issues of SRS have been released
apart from Special Issues:
27 Issues of Vol. 1
15 Issues of Vol. 2
42 Issues of Vol. 3
35 Issues of Vol. 4
28 Issues of Vol. 5
30 Issues of Vol. 6 and
27 Issues of Vol. 7
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 22
ANGAN MAA NYAALATHTHU
(ANBIL RAMASWAMY)
angaN maa NYaalaththu

angaN maa NYaalaththu arasar * abimaana
pangamaay vandhu nin paLLik kattiR keezhE *
sangam iruppaar pOl vandhu thalaippeydhOm *
kinkiNi vaaych cheydha thaamaraip poop pOlE *
sengaN chiRuch chiRidhE emmEl vizhiyaavO *
thingaLum aadhiththiyanum ezhundhaaR pOl *
angaN irandum kondu engaL mEl nOkkudhiyEl *
engaL mEl saabam izhindhElOr embaavaay
_______________________________________
?       KrishNa was sorry that they were comparing themselves with the defeated
kings. And, when He told them that they are dear to Him as His very life
(jnaani tu aatmaiva mE matam, praaNEbhyOpi gareeyasi?, they submit that they
had come shedding their ?abhimaanam? and as ?ananya sEshas?

angaN (am + kaN) maa Nyaalaththu arasar:

?       Like the kings of this big and beautiful world

Abimaana pangamaay vandhu

?       Having come with our pride destroyed,
?       Who does not have aham-kaaram and mama-kaaram that translates into ego?
Everybody has it.
?       A few dollars more, Securing any new acquisitions, Some landed
property,
Ruling over a kingdom, earning a few more degrees and diplomas, acquiring a
beautiful spouse, being a youth in life (albeit, for a short while) - all
lead to aham-kaaram and mama-kaaram.
?        Did not Aadhi Sankara say
?maa kuru dhana jana youvana garvam, harati nimEshaa kaalah sarvam??
?       Remember Nammazhwar?s ?oru naayakamaay? Paasuram
?       When we surrender our ?bhaaram? to PerumaaL, He takes care of our
welfare.
(yOga kshEmam Vaahmi aham) Therefore, there is ?abhimaanam bhangam? for us.
?       See, how we are attached to this perishable body that is made up of all
sorts of scum and dirt like excreta, sweat etc.
?       Nammaazhwaar refers to ?poininra jnaanamum pollaa ozhukkum, azhukku
uDambum?
?       A person was cursed to be born as a pig in the next birth. He, however,
got a boon whereby he and his friends would know when and where he would be
born as pig. He asked his peers to locate his birth and kill him instantly.
When actually they tried to kill as requested, he protested saying that he
relished the pig?s life! Such is the attraction that our Sareeram gives us!
?       Make an incision say of the size of a quarter and see how it stinks.
Yet,
we like to relish this body!

nin paLLik kattiL keezhE

?       under, your sleeping bed

sangam iruppaar pOl

?       Just like they have gathered
?       When DuryOdhana and Arjuna came to Sri KrishNa seeking His help to
their
sides, two rivals took positions at the feet (Arjuna) and near the head
(DuryOdhana)

Vandhu thalaippeydhOm

?       We have come and approached
?       Earlier they said ?vaasar kaDai patri?. Now, ?ThalaippeydhOm?. In other
words, they had shed ?Swatantra-atma bramam? and ?anya-sEshatva bramam?.
In other words, they got rid of thoughts like being independent and being
dependent on some other entity.

kinkiNi vaay    cheyda

?       Your mouth looking like small bell
?       ?kinkini? is a kind of anklet that has small openings in the metal
covering that would not let the gems encased from falling out. When the
wearer walks, it will create a tiny sound like the rattler

thaamarai poo pOlE

?       like  the lotus flower
?       That the eyes of the Lord are reddish like the red lotus has been
referred
to in several contexts.

sengaN (sen + kaN)

?       Red eyes

siRu siRidhE em mEl vizhiyaavO

?       Please look at us bit by bit
?       When the Lord thinks of our aparaadams, He feels like punishing. But,
when
He hears our pathetic pleadings, He opens His eyes a little, out of
compassion and mercy.
?       A person, who has gone on a long fasting, would feel choked if he were
be fed a lot all at once. Likewise, the gOpis have been longing for KrishNa
for long and if He were to look at them with full view, they may not be able
to digest it.
?       In the Raaja sooya yaga done by Dharmaputra, BheemasEna was in charge
of
feeding the guests. He thought that the guests would eat as much as he
himself would. So, he forced them to eat more and more. They swooned due to
overeating suddenly!

ThingaL aadhiththiyan ezhundhaal pOl

?       Sun and the moon. as if rising
?       ?Chandramaa manasO jaatah, ChakshOr sooryO ajaayata?, and
?Chandra Sooryou cha nEtrE?
?       Earlier, they said ?kadir madiyam pOl mugathaan?. The same face that
looked fierce for Hiranyakasipu appeared very soft and enjoyable for
Prahlaada.
In Svapadesam
?        6 causes are mentioned for acquiring an Achaarya The fist one is
?VishNOr
kaTaaksham? This is known as ?karuvilE thiru?
?       If one is seen by VishNu, he will be born as ?Saatvik?; if seen by
Brahma
or Siva, he will be of Raajasic and Taamasic quality respectively.

pOl

?       On second thoughts, they realized that the simile was not quite apt
because of the saying
?na tatra suryO bhaati, na Chandra taarakam,
na Imaa VidyutO bhaanti kutOyam agnih/
TamEva bhaantam anubhaati sarvam
tasya bhaasa sarvam idam vibhaati//
?Neither the Sun nor the moon nor the stars shine on their own, not to speak
of fire. They all shine basking in the brightness of the Lord?.
?       But, how else one could compare? It is only with reference to what is
known could anything unknown be explained

angaN (am + kaN) irandum kondu

?       with two beautiful eyes
?       In Svapadesam: Acharyas have both aga-kkaNN (inner eye) and outer eye
(purak-kaNN)
?       In Svapadesam, this also refers to Bhakti and Prapatti

engaL mEl
?       at us
?       It is considered auspicious to wake up seeing first one?s right palm, a
mirror, flower, gold coin or the face of beloved. ?Since we are your beloved
ones, we demand that when you wake up, your eyesight should fall on us?

nOkkudhiyEl

?       If you look

engaL mEl saabam izhindhu

?       Curses on us will be removed
?       They did not use the word ?Paapam? but used ?Saapam? Why? Curses are
different from sins. Prapatti can requite sins. But, Curses cannot be
obviated except by experiencing like Durvasa Saapam, Brahma Saapam, Daksha
Saapam, Goutama Saapam etc
?       This is the 22nd Paasuram that deals with Aham-kaaram. In our
philosophy,
?aham-kaaram? is the 22nd entity of the Tattvas.
?       It is said that if one recites this Paasuram daily, one would get rid
of
all sins that prevent our enjoying good health. And bring about timely
marriage, wealth etc.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 22
ANGAN MAA NYAALATHTHU
ENGLISH VERSE TRANSLATION
(MS. SHOBA RAMASWAMY)
?As the rulers of
All the wide worlds
Gather in humility before your rooms,
Stand we with bowed heads.
As the lotus flower in full bloom,
Like the belled ornament at your feet,
May your lovely eyes
Open slowly upon us
Like the Moon and the Sun
Together rising!
If, with those two eyes
You gaze on us.
All our past sins
Will be destroyed,
Oh! My maidens!?
To Continue
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/VkWolB/TM