You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jan 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00214 Jan 2006

Jan 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrimatE Raamaanujaaya Namaha //
SrimatE Nigamaanta Mahaa Desikaaya Namaha //
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya/
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya//
KAvEri VardhathAm kAlE, kAlE varshathu vAsava: /
SrI RanganAthO jayathu Sri Ranga Sri cha VardhathAm//
SRI RANGA SRI VOL.07 / ISSUE # 30 dated 8th January 2006
IN THIS ISSUE:
1. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 24
ANRU IVVULAGAM
(ANBIL RAMASWAMY)
2. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 24
ANRU IVVULAGAM
ENGLISH VERSE TRANSLATION
(MS. SHOBA RAMASWAMY)
ISSUES RELEASED
So far, 206 Regular issues of SRS have been released
apart from Special Issues:
27 Issues of Vol. 1
15 Issues of Vol. 2
42 Issues of Vol. 3
35 Issues of Vol. 4
28 Issues of Vol. 5
30 Issues of Vol. 6 and
29 Issues of Vol. 7
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IN THIS ISSUE:
1. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 24
ANRU IVVULAGAM
(ANBIL RAMASWAMY)
Tiruppavai 24
anRu iv ulagam
anRu iv ulagam aLandhaay adi pORRi *
senRanguth then ilangai seRRaay thiRal pORRi *
ponRach chakatam udhaiththaay pugazh pORRi *
kanRu kuNil aaveRindhaay kazhal pORRi *
kunRu kudaiyaay eduththaay guNam pORRi *
venRu pagai kedukkum nin kaiyil vEl pORRi *
enRu enRu un sEvagamE Eththip paRai koLvaan *
inRu yaam vandhOm irang ElOr embaavaay

?       This is said to be the MangaLaasaasanam of Andal.
The first line praises the Lord?s feet.
The second line praises His hands.
?       When Arjuna without realizing the greatness of KrishNa ordered him to
stop
the chariot right in the middle of the two armies, KrishNa obeyed. Will He
not heed the pleadings of poor gOpis who knew nothing other than KrishNa
Himself to come and occupy the ?seeriya simha aasanam??
?       They start doing MangaLaasaasanam to KrishNa as He proceeded to His
throne. An act which the Devas (who were saved by Trivikrama) did not care
to perform. The gOpis seem to making good this default.
?       She is the daughter of Periya Aazhwar who sang ?pallaaNdu pallaaNDu? to
the Lord. No wonder, his daughter follows his footsteps in offering ?pOTRi,
pOTRi?
?       When we go to have darshan of TiruvenkaTam uDaiyaan, we go there with
lot
of aspirations and the list of our petitions for relief seems never ending.
But, once we are face to face with PerumaaL, we forget everything and start
to do MangaLaasaasanam. Likewise, the gOpis start praising KrishNa almost
forgetting what they had come there for.

anRu    iv ulagam aLandhaay      you strode these worlds then, long ago

?       In Svapadesam, it is Achaarya who revealed the extent of Lord?s glory
in
measuring the worlds.
?       In Svapadesam: This also refers to Achaarya, Bhagavad Ramanuja who did
dig-vijayam right up to Kashmir (tadapi paramam gatah - Yatiraaja Saptadhi)

Adi pORRi: We sing, "All Hail, All glory!" to your feet

?       We already saw how the gOpis were so enamored of Trivikrama Avataaram.
They mention this three times in ?Ongi uLagaLanda?, ?Ambaram ooDaruthu Ongi
ukagaLanda?, and ?Anru ivvulagam aLantaai?.
?       There is a subtle point here. Andal seems to say that since as
Trivikrama
had measured all the three worlds with his two feet already ?thriNee padam
vichakramE?, (which included Mahaabali), he did not get space for the third
foot he had asked for. That is why Andal mentioned this event thrice.

Why aDi pORRi?

?       For this, we have to see why he came to maduraa puri leaving his snake
bed.
?Naaga paryankam utsrujya aagatO maduraam pureem?. Is it for learning how to
milk? He already knew this having shown His Paratvam even at birth. There
was however a wild cow that he had to tackle. This needed lot of tact and
exercise. What cow is that? It is ?sarvOpanishadO gaava:? ? He had to milk
the Vedas for feeding Arjuna, the calf (vatsa). The gOpis feel sorry how the
Lord had to place his soft feet to wade through thorny and hard land for
doing this.  That is why this MangaLaasasanam to the feet.
?       They seem to bemoan the fact that while as Rama, he at least wore his
footwear when proceeding to the forest but the Bharata had taken away even
this, making him walk bare-footed over the harsh and inhospitable terrain.
That is why this MangaLaasasanam to the feet.
?       There is another reason why Rama had to walk and not use a chariot. How
else could he relieve Ahalyaa from her curse, which was possible only when
his foot touched the stone?
?       Also, he desired to pay obeisance to the Maha Rishis in the forest. It
would not be courteous for him to go them in a vehicle. So, he preferred to
walk up to them.
?       Once an Achaarya and his Sishya were on the banks of a river. Suddenly.
?       There was a flood. The Sishya had so much of Achaarya Bhakti that
saying
?Achaaryan TiruvaDigaLe SaraNam? he swam to the other side. The Achaarya saw
this and was surprised at the power of his own feet. So, he said ?My
TiruvaDigaLe SaraNam? and started swimming and got drowned!

AnRu:

?       It was then (long ago) that you measured. Her MangaLaasaasanam is like
building a dam after the waters had flowed!
She seems to say ?I couldn?t do it then. So, I am doing it now?

senRu   angu then ilangai seRRaay:      You went and destroyed RaavaNa's city
of
Southern Lanka

?       ?kaanakamellaam evvaaru naDantanai emmi RaamaavO? ?
Dasaratha bewailed:  ?How did you walk on the rough ground in the forest??
?       Why did he do that? All for the sake of one woman. Now, He is doing the
same for the sake of 5 lakhs of gOpis.
?       In Svapadesam: This refers to how Achaarya takes efforts to rid the
Jivan
from the shackles of the 10 Indriyas and lead it to liberation.
?       Did Rama destroy Lanka? No. If he had done that, how could he hand over
Lanka to VibheeshaNa as promised? That is why Periyaazhwar sang ?ilangai
paazh aaLaaga? which means the killing of the hostile denizens of Lanka.
That is why Andal also said ?sinathinaal thennilangaik ?kOmaanai? seRRa?

Thiral pORRi   We sing, "All Hail, All glory!" to your vigor

?       Thiral means capacity, Vigor. Tejas, Prataapam etc. Swami Desika
started
his Raghu veera Gadhyam with the words ?Jaya Jaya Mahaa veera?

ponRa   chakatam udhaiththaay: You destroyed by kicking the demon that came as
a cartwheel

?       Only the kids came to know of this kicking of SakaTaasura, while
KrishNa
was in His cradle and they described with gusto about the event. Only later,
others came to know. Hence, ?pugazh pORRi?
?       In Svapadesam: ?SakaTam? refers to this shell of body, which the
Achaarya
reveals as the cause of all misfortunes.

Pugazh pORRi: We sing, "All Hail, All glory!" to your fame

kanRu   kunilaa eRindhaay: You used as a stick, the demon that came as a calf
and threw it against another demon
?       They sing the glory of His feet when He bent his feet while aiming
Vatsaasura and shooting him at Kapittaasura!

kazhal  pORRi    We sing, "All Hail, All glory!" to your feet

?       For throwing something at something, only the hands are used. But, why
do
they praise feet instead of hands in this act? It is because when he bends
to position himself in the appropriate posture, the ?kazhal? or the anklet
shows up. And the feet took precedence.
?       When the right leg is stretched and the left is bent, it is called
?a-leeDam? and when the left leg is stretched and the right is bent it is
called ?pratyaa-leeDam? Here, they enjoyed both and thus enchanted by the
postures, started praising them.

kunRu   kudaiyaay eduththaay: You lifted the Govardhana hill as an umbrella

?       How did He lift the mountain? Contrary to popular belief that He held
the
mountain at its base, it is by making it an inverted pyramid (adhO-mukham)
and holding the tip of the hill by the tip of his pinky finger that KrishNa
lifted the mountain.
?       It should be remembered that when KrishNa lifted the Govardhana giri,
He
was hardly 7 years old.
?       In Svapadesam: The Lord lifts the mountain like Vedams as an umbrella
protect us from the rains of avivEkam.

guNam    pORRi: We sing, "All Hail, All glory!" to your good nature

?       It is no big deal to help those who helped. It takes character to help
those who have knowingly harmed. KrishNa helped Indra by quelling his ego in
trying to destroy gOpas through torrential rains.
?       What is guNam here? GuNam in our Sampradaayam refers to Souseelyam. It
is
the excellent blend of Paratvam and Souseelyam of the Lord that is revealed
in lifting the Govardhana Mountain and assigning the credit of protecting
the gOpas to the mountain instead of appropriating it to himself! This
differentiates Him from the rest who would like to grab credits even when
not due to us!
?       When asked ?Who you are?? he replied that he was just bandhu (relative)
?aham vO bhaandavO jnaatah mat sambandE na lajjaa chEt aham
bhandurvibhaachyataam
?       Usually it is only the servants who would hold umbrella for the King,
their master. Here, the master was holding an umbrella for his subjects!

venRu   pagai kedukkum: You     destroy enemies by winning them over

?       It is not his intention to destroy his enemies. All he wants to do is
correct them by removing the cause of their enmity. He waits patiently
giving a chance to the enemies to have a change of heart, if not in this
life, at least in the future births so that ultimately they might reach the
Kingdom of God.
?       It is this sentiment that Andal expressed in ?maaRRaarai marru azhikka
vallaanai?

nin kaiyil vEl pORRi: We sing, "All Hail, All glory!" to the spear in your
hand

?       How spear (vEl) in KrishNa?s hands? It should be remembered that spear
is
one of the shOdasa aaydams of the Lord
?       Also, His Sudrasana Chakram has many sharp orbs (koor) like the spear
?       Moreover, it is traditionally accepted that the vanquished surrender
their
weapons to the victor. There were any number of enemies whom KrishNa subdued
and He would have secured one from anyone of them
?       Was not Nanda described as ?koor vEl koDum thozhilan??
Like father, like son, KrishNa also wields a spear.
?       The Lord has 6 enemies: for example, Kaama (RavaNa), krOdha
(HiraNyaaksha
and HiraNyakasipu), mOha (sakaTaasuran), lObha (Indra), madha (vatsaasuran)
and maatsarya (kapittaasuran).

enRu enRu un sEvakamE Eththi: Praising your greatness in all these ways

paRai koLvaan:  to get the drum

InRu yam vandhOm: We have come today

Irangu: Have mercy on us

ElOr embaavaay  The usual refrain
In Svapadesam:
?       In this Paasuram, Andal uses the word ?pORRi? 6 times because she is
paying tribute to his 6 qualities of Jnaana, Bhala, Aiswarya, Veerya, Sakti
and tEjas.
?       It used to be said that this also corresponds to the 6 Aasanas we offer
the Lord during Tiruvaradana, namely, Mantraasanam, Snaanaasanam,
Alankaaraasanam, BhOjyaasanam, Punar mantraasanam and Paryankaasanam.
To Continue
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 24
ANRU IVVULAGAM
ENGLISH VERSE TRANSLATION
(MS. SHOBA RAMASWAMY)

?Eons back you measured the worlds ?
Praise be to your feet!
Thence went you to Lanka to defeat,
Praise be to your feat!
Broke the demon as cart disguised,
Praise be to your fame!
Threw the evil calf as a staff-
Praise be to your ankles!
Lifted the hill as a sheltering umbrella-
Praise be to your grace!
Praise to your Lance
Victorious over enemies!
We who praise your deeds
Ever as our salvation,
Come today to your Mercy.
Accept us!
Oh! My Maidens
To Continue
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/VkWolB/TM